Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Suppy During Power Outage

Default Water Suppy During Power Outage

With last nights 8 hour outage, I'm thinking about this again. I'm on a well. So when power goes out I have very limited supply of water. My water heater is under the house. Im thinking about some kind of "storage" tank in the attic. Something I can get 20-30 gallons of gravity supplied water. As long as I can get it through the pull down steps, I have tons of room.

Whatcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    With last nights 8 hour outage, I'm thinking about this again. I'm on a well. So when power goes out I have very limited supply of water. My water heater is under the house. Im thinking about some kind of "storage" tank in the attic. Something I can get 20-30 gallons of gravity supplied water. As long as I can get it through the pull down steps, I have tons of room.

Whatcha think?
    It's a good idea except I'm skeptical about putting that much water in the attic. I would put it outside if possible. BJ

Additional bladder tanks.

Why not just a generator to plug the well pump into. Sounds like a much better solution than a small tank. This way you have unlimited supply of water.

Generator on a whole house transfer switch. Hell you could probably repurpose one of those old welders for it, convert to NG or LPG.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Clearly not a "thinker" if putting a water storage tank in you attic is what you came up with over generator. I'm guessing your bus had about 5 maybe 6 rows
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

LMAO
    Low country redneck who moved north

Guess there would have been a lot of money in "Simple Assault" cases, too.

I think Hogan had a fish tank on here awhile back. Fill it with catfish and they'll keep it clean and you get a fish fry a couple times a years. Win-win.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Generator is not the issue. Can run the whole house off one.
    I'm looking for additional temporary water storage.

I would advise against putting it in the attic. Can you not put more water storage under the house?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

If you use a tank, you'd also have to remember to use the water/turn it over fairly frequently or it would be useless for drinking when the need arises.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to just flush toilets? Or are you trying to take showers and cook?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

We typically buy a bunch of those gallon jugs of water for a hurricane. And fill the bathtub for non potable water needs.

If you have a genset for the whole house why the need for a gravity water tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If you have a genset for the whole house why the need for a gravity water tank?
    X2
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I got the same problem Steelin. I got the generator but still ain't hooked to the well. Hint, Hint
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Steelin, you definitely need to get this taken care of before the start of hurricane season. I cannot tolerate sub par standards in my evacuation safe house this year. Also, you need to have at least a case of Miller Lite on hand. Chilled.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

If a hurricane is coming to town I prepared for it. Drinking water supply on hand, bathtub full of water, 26,000 gallons of water in the backyard and generators hooked up with five days worth of fuel supply. This is not the issue I'm talking about.

It is the unexpected power loss due to a thunderstorm or other unforeseen event. That is why I want "temporary" additional water supply. Something plumbed inline. Lien toward small water heater. That way I can turn it on when I have company staying upstairs and will also have additional hot water capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by ManvsDuck View Post
    Steelin, you definitely need to get this taken care of before the start of hurricane season. I cannot tolerate sub par standards in my evacuation safe house this year. Also, you need to have at least a case of Miller Lite on hand. Chilled.
    Next time no cats...