Thread: Gunsmith Class

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Gunsmith Class

Deep River Customs - Ramsuer, NC is Deep River Customs is announcing a new class offering: Custom Smith and Wesson Revolver.

Course Description:

The 7-day course will provide students with the instruction needed to bring a Smith and Wesson Model 929 to ultimate competition readiness. Included in the cost of the course will be a Smith and Wesson model 929, and parts necessary to perform all of the tuning and modifications. All of the necessary tooling and parts will be provided as well. The student only needs to arrive with a willingness to learn!

The initial blocks of instruction will introduce students to the design and function theory of the Smith and Wesson revolver as well as detailed disassembly/reassembly. Attention will then turn toward competition tuning of the student’s revolver. Inferior MIM internal parts will be discarded, and quality bar-stock hammers, triggers, double action sears, firing pins, and cylinder stops will be installed. With the new parts in place, the revolver will be tuned for ultimate competition function and reliability. Topics during this portion of the class will include cylinder timing and the proper fitting of hands and double action sears.

As the next phase of the class begins, students will then be coached through the installation of a custom DX style front sight base on a milling machine. This base allows for full interchangeability of front sights. This will be paired with a Bowen Classic Arms rear sight to allow for the most flexible and highest quality sight arrangement available.

During the fourth phase of the course, students will receive instruction on more advanced topics such as barrel and cylinder installations. Students will have the opportunity to install a barrel on a provided S&W frame if they do not wish to change the barrel on their project 929.

During the final work portion of the class, students will have the opportunity to modify the existing barrel on their Model 929 to a profile that more closely resembles the lighter contour of the Model 627 Pro models. Students may also choose to shorten and re-crown the existing barrel. Professional quality barrel markings will then be reapplied. Students who are satisfied with the factory contour of the Model 929 are welcome to keep the barrel in factory configuration.

Topics such as caliber conversions and metal finishing will be discussed as time permits during the duration of the course. On the final day of class, the class will travel to a local range for test firing of the finished project revolvers!

Tentative class date for 2017 will be July 31-Aug. 4th, 2017. Please contact us if you would like more information: info@deeprivercustoms.com
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Interesting, but I'm betting non-MIM parts are gonna be steep.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Too bad no one shoots revolvers anymore.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

I put in about 15 or so events (3000 to 4000 rounds including practice, at a minimum) a year with mine. In our (dying....) discipline, they are far more competitive than semiautos.

We shoot different matches with snub nose (off duty), 4" (service), 6" "stock"-ish ("leg" or distinguished), and 6" "open" class guns. Similar matches also shot with semiautos (your choice on a local match) Anywhere from 200 to 300 rounds per event, unless you shoot a regional, then you shoot EVERYTHING (semi and revolver) over two days (plus shotguns). I tallied up a regional at 258 rounds of revolver, 258 of semiauto, 48 rounds of either (you shoot off-duty with your choice, but not both, at a regional) and 10 rounds of 12 gauge slug. So, you shoot a fair bit. It's all LE shooters.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 03-20-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I love shooting revolvers and shoot them as well, or better than most semiautos. A well tuned DA revolver is a joy to shoot. There are 4-5 revolver shooters at the local USPSA monthly match, and they do a revolver friendly match one a year that gets a good turnout.
    The class will be pricey. A new 929 goes for $1000-1200. The Apex parts their putting in them aren't cheap either.