Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Rock changes

Wow, well played sir... Well played...

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    My Hero 4 Black will only film 45 minutes, but will film all day with the auxiliary power and never fill up the SD card when set on looping.

When using 4K or 4K Superview resolution, you use up a lot of memory. You don't need that for marlin ID proof, but if there was an opportunity for quality footage of the fight, you certainly would want the best resolution. 720p doesn't get it done.
    Well to fish "all in" in the tournament, you would be looking at over $22K in entry fees plus multiple days of fuel, bait, etc. Easily over $30K. You telling me that you wouldn't have at least 3 Hero Silvers with multiple batteries when you are already spending that kind of money with even more money on the line? Instead, you want to use your Hero black that gets crappy battery life, and walk around with a cable tripping up everyone in the cockpit in case you want to capture a "good fight"?

Let me put it this way... Anyone who cannot figure out how to get 2 minutes of marlin footage on a caught fish, without running their camera all day long, is certainly not going to win the tournament. You can take that to the bank...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    Well to fish "all in" in the tournament, you would be looking at over $22K in entry fees plus multiple days of fuel, bait, etc. Easily over $30K. You telling me that you wouldn't have at least 3 Hero Silvers with multiple batteries when you are already spending that kind of money with even more money on the line? Instead, you want to use your Hero black that gets crappy battery life, and walk around with a cable tripping up everyone in the cockpit in case you want to capture a "good fight"?

Let me put it this way... Anyone who cannot figure out how to get 2 minutes of marlin footage on a caught fish, without running their camera all day long, is certainly not going to win the tournament. You can take that to the bank...

I'm sorry you don't get it. With multiple batteries, they just run out with no warning. What happens when it's crunch time on the identifying and release when you look and the batteries have died?

I said the best set up would be two Go Pros.....one on continuous running with auxiliary power and with looping. The other with a battery that one person cuts on and off to get just the ID/release.

I know nothing about catching Marlin, but I know a lot about Go Pros. Your idea will fail and cost your team points/money.

Catdaddy:

I know you're old and all, but we heard you the first time you mentioned aux power and loop settings.

Thanks,

Mgmt.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I'm sorry you don't get it. With multiple batteries, they just run out with no warning. What happens when it's crunch time on the identifying and release when you look and the batteries have died?

I said the best set up would be two Go Pros.....one on continuous running with auxiliary power and with looping. The other with a battery that one person cuts on and off to get just the ID/release.

I know nothing about catching Marlin, but I know a lot about Go Pros. Your idea will fail and cost your team points/money.
    I've got GoPros and have caught marlin and have been on the boat during marlin tournaments and have been on boats when marlin are actually caught in those tournaments. Again, in my post that you quoted, I mentioned having "at least 3 Hero Silvers with multiple batteries". If a team can't get identification with 3 GoPros, then an aux cable ain't going to help them... You don't need to film the entire fight. The fish has to be within 30 feet of the boat (IGFA max leader length) to be "caught". You literally only need a minute of video.

Let's not forget that people that are not in tournaments film marlin with GoPros all the time. No auxiliary cord needed. Are you guys saying that GoPros are essentially worthless without aux power? The internet disagrees. Youtube disagrees...
    Last edited by jasonw; 03-22-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Pretty much all tournament boats have been doing this for years and everyone has multiple go pros and check them regularly to make sure they all work. Nothing special here.