Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live bait around Wateree

Default Live bait around Wateree

Does anybody near Lake Wateree sell live bait? Just got a newused boat and looking to learn the area for Striper. Thanks in advance!
    Wes

Not really.

You don't really need it though. I've never actually fished for rockfish on the lake with it.

The place up in great falls usually has live bait. But as Ralph said, you don't need live bait.

Where are you coming from? You can catch bait on the lake with a cast net. I think all the stripers were caught by highstrung no need to fish for them. But you can catfish.

Haha, I released the few I've caught. But yeah, I've caught a mess of bait with a cast net up there.. kids catfishing off the beach. But I'm just into chasing them, more of my style. Tight lining is extremely boorish to me up there.

Try pulling umbrella rigs if you want some exciting times. Three fish on a rig is some fun.

So you are using artificials? Just asking out of ignorance. Would a heavy jig work?

Coming from Blyethwood. well hopefully DNR dumps a few more in ��
    I have a cast net. I know where to use a cast net in saltwater, but not on the lake.....

Go behind the dam in lugoff with a long dip net. When the horn sounds you can dip the bait by the dozens. Try throwing the cast net around the banks or look for them on the depth finder. It's easy to do

I'm all artificial up there, normally between four choices, with a new one added to my repertoire last year. Shad aren't hard to find. I don't however know anything about any ramps or stores on that side of the lake except on rare occasions grabbing food at the Retreat. I'm not sure what's going on at Dutchmans either. That's up there with mudnut.

Thanks mudnut I'll give it a try. At least I'll get some catfish bait. Sounds like I need to do some artificial research.

We always have good luck trolling shad raps. And casting bucktails into schools. Sure haven't had much luck with them this year like we did last year. Good luck

No shad at Dutchman. I have been catching them at Clearwater and in between Rochelle and June creek. Heard of a few caught in cedar ceek on cut bait.

Thanks Greenheadrocker. I'll take a look at those and buy a few to try.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    No shad at Dutchman. I have been catching them at Clearwater and in between Rochelle and June creek. Heard of a few caught in cedar ceek on cut bait.
    Mudnut do you prefer live or artificial?

I catch more on live this time of year. I found them stack in a 15' hole they wouldn't bite anything but live bait. I threw everything artificial I had and even pull rigs thru them. No dice but went over with live bait and all the rods were bent.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    I catch more on live this time of year. I found them stack in a 15' hole they wouldn't bite anything but live bait. I threw everything artificial I had and even pull rigs thru them. No dice but went over with live bait and all the rods were bent.
    Thanks again. I'll try to figure them out.

They got killed Monday. I heard it from a friend.

Buddy of mind went behind the dam today and caught 40 dozen shad in about 5 minutes

That is impressive. With just a dip net? Y'all do mean on the river side of the dam correct?