Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawtooth oak problem

Oaks spend a lot of their energy building up root mass if they are in the shade, while waiting for their chance to grow quickly to an open light source. In order for them to start producing they need a break through in the canopy, in nature this happens through blowovers and just years of succession. You can do the same with a chainsaw. Open up some sunlight and they should start producing.

I've got 2 rows of Oaks across a field. Each one has grown different than the others. Some are 8" Diameter, some 4". Some huge canopies, some small. Some green all winter, some die out around October. I'm convinced they are all women, and cant make up their mind as a group. In short, I really think it varies tree to tree. I agree a soil test and opening up some canopy would help overall conditions but don't be surprised if they all act different.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    you need to release those trees by cutting down some of the competing trees around them
    Quote Originally Posted by pawleydux View Post
    Oaks spend a lot of their energy building up root mass if they are in the shade, while waiting for their chance to grow quickly to an open light source. In order for them to start producing they need a break through in the canopy, in nature this happens through blowovers and just years of succession. You can do the same with a chainsaw. Open up some sunlight and they should start producing.

Did y'all not see the last thread about him with a chainsaw?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Did y'all not see the last thread about him with a chainsaw?
    Good point. Don't cut them down. Girdle them. And add straight round up in the cut

Open up for Sun and add triple 19.
    Genesis 9;2