Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kidde or First Alert Smoke Detectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I was not asking with derogatory intent,

I don't know of anyone with a similar setup that I am aware of.

not a bad idea, but I guess some systems now you can probably sync to your cell phone in order to get instant notifications
    Sorry to not make it clear, my last paragraph there wasn't really targeted towards you.

I'd have to replace the main system to sync with my cell right now, and that is one of the options I'm looking at. Part of the issue there is the spotty cell reception I get here, although it may well be my phone that needs to be replaced.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-16-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    We use kidde and code requires them to all be hard wired and linked. I really can't say which one is better, but I'm assuming kidde is what's cheaper for my electrician.
    Charlie, here's a link to a document that shows the section of the NFPA 72 code - http://www.bcnv.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/55

Note for any future need...

R314.5 Interconnection.
    Where more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed within an individual dwelling unit in accordance with Section R314.3, the alarm devices shall be interconnected in such a manner
    that the actuation of one alarm will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit. Physical interconnection of smoke alarms shall not be required where listed wireless alarms are installed and all alarms sound upon activation of one alarm.
    Duck cutter, et al, note that the external 'bull horn' siren was installed with, and was required by, the original system. I don't remember if it was part of the NFPA code at that time (1994), but several of those above who are making a big deal out of it were probably still wearing short shorts with their dirty diapers when it was installed and thus fail to understand how specs and codes change over the years.

External Alarm Speaker_Original WTA_Small.jpg

Note how even ADT presently offers it as an option. I haven't bothered to check any other companies, but you can also buy external sirens and/or strobe lights to add to many/most/all(?) home systems, from what I understand.

http://www.californiasecuritypro.com...-Outdoor-Siren

Here's some different sirens/strobes that are available. The advantage to an external strobe is that it is easier for fire and police to ID which house is sounding the alarm.

https://www.safety.com/p/outdoor-siren/
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-16-2017 at 04:52 PM.
    ~ George Washington

Again, I assure you that I mean nothing derogatory.
    I have worked in a bunch of houses over the years ( old and new) and don't ever remember seeing a bullhorn in the attic. It's not a bad idea at all and at the end of the day, it is your house and you should whatever type system makes you and your family feel the most safe.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

No worries. I haven't taken any comments from you as derogatory. I just posted the details for info. I was working a little on the options and realized that even with the cell phone syncing, the benefits of an external siren, and even a strobe, for security and fire alarms are still as valid as they ever were.
    ~ George Washington