Thread: The Greg Glassman of bow shooting

Default The Greg Glassman of bow shooting

I saw Joel Turner do a shooting​ clinic about a year ago and was very impressed with what he was putting out there. It wasn't something I wanted to really embrace because I was happy with my shooting. While practicing for this turkey season I've developed the equivalent of the yips or shanks. So I remembered Joel and started looking his stuff up on YouTube, podcasts, articles etc. I can honestly say embracing his approach wasn't an easy hump to get over but I now have a frame work for shooting that feels life changing. He's got an online course but I just listened to enough free stuff to get it. The Gritty Bowman podcast he's on lays it down pretty well.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 03-12-2017 at 02:03 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Hopefully you got my yips and I'm yip free now.

I went from a couple years of lights out best ever to I can't hardly get the damn string halfway back. I shot better this morning than I ever have, period. He ain't fullashit.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

You talking **** here? If so its the craziest thing in the world when you know better to release and yet your fingers just do it... I fought it for a couple days years ago.. frustrating indeed.
    Genesis 9;2

I had something similar to the yips. I struggled to maintain form. From my grip to my stance I just felt awkward. It was evident in my shooting. It led to punching my trigger and all kinds of bad habits. I basically had to put the bow down for awhile. When I started back in would only shoot 1 arrow a day. Took awhile but for me less was more.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    You talking **** here? If so its the craziest thing in the world when you know better to release and yet your fingers just do it... I fought it for a couple days years ago.. frustrating indeed.
    Yeah....**** for me. However, Joel is a firearms shooting instructor and former sniper. His techniques come from that world and he's kind of blowing up traditional ways of thinking ( or lack of thinking) in a bow shot. Same subconscious "flinch to prepare for explosion" at play across all stationary shooting domains. He's a fascinating guy to listen to regardless of what kind of bow you shoot or how good of a shot you think you've become. His elk calling technique is pretty entertaining and effective as well.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 03-13-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Rubberhead

your brain is in the way

but I sure as hell cant stop you from over-thinking shit.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.