Thread: old shotgun question

Default old shotgun question

looking at an old side by side

the words " de escopeta" are stamped on top of the barrel.

I'm assuming this is the manufacturer, what can yall tell me about them?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

"Escopeta" is a feminine noun that means "shotgun" when translated to English. "De", I think, means "the".

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    "Escopeta" is a feminine noun that means "shotgun" when translated to English. "De", I think, means "the".
    well that's good to know

thanks, guess I need to look it over better for other clues as to who produced it

upon a better look "eibar" was on the barrel as well.

Spanish manufactured,

Was probably thrown across the Rio Grande by a wily coyote. Shot many conquistadors, cowboys and ruff necks.

So many things to consider when looking at old SXS guns. I am no expert but there are honestly a metric chit ton of things to look for when sizing one up. I am on the hunt for an AH Fox AE grade right now and have had to turn several down that had various miscues about them. A quick glance around shows plenty of info on the Eibar.. I would stick Fox , LC Smith , Lefever, Parker if it were me. Fox put out an edition known as the Sterlingsworth that can be had in the 800 range and which will only appreciate if taken care of while in your hands.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    So many things to consider when looking at old SXS guns. I am no expert but there are honestly a metric chit ton of things to look for when sizing one up. I am on the hunt for an AH Fox AE grade right now and have had to turn several down that had various miscues about them. A quick glance around shows plenty of info on the Eibar.. I would stick Fox , LC Smith , Lefever, Parker if it were me. Fox put out an edition known as the Sterlingsworth that can be had in the 800 range and which will only appreciate if taken care of while in your hands.
    Thanks for the info,

if looking for a working mans hunting gun, and not something to increase in value but something to kill squirrels, doves and beat briars down while rabbit hunting, is the eibar decent?

Eibar is a city in Spain. Several gun manufacturers have been there or nearby. There is a long-standing gun making/smithing school there.

Does it say "AYA" on it anywhere?
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 03-09-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Sent you a pm DC. Swamp is correct, there were about 60 mfg out of that area. AYA being one and of nice quality.
    Genesis 9;2

Eibar is to the Spanish gun industry as Birmingham was to England's. The Spanish have produced guns of all quality levels through the years. Look on the underside of the barrel flats near the breach for proof marks. Those will tell you a lot about most any gun made in Europe or England.

I've had old revolvers out of Spain that, for the caliber, were something like "Those American cartridges that fit best are the best to use"....
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    I'd add Iver Johnson to that list. VERY solid shotguns, both single and sxs, that often get over-looked. You can pick up a Hercules in the $500.00-700.00 range if you shop around.