Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What herbicide with clearfield sunflowers?

Default What herbicide with clearfield sunflowers?

In your humble opinion, which herbicide works best for over-the-top weed control in sunflowers......Beyond, clethodim or Panoramic? Looking at the labels, Beyond and Panoramic seem to be the same thing.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Clethodim = grass only

Beyond is very similar to Cadre and a lot of pigweed is resistant to that class of herbicides. I believe Panoramic is a generic in that family.

Best bet is a strong pre program and hopefully you only need a shot clethodim to clean up some grass
    cut\'em

Agree. Spartan and prowl sprayed after planting, incorporated by 1/2" of slow rain.

what pre these days? pigweed is the devil. we usually look fine until the flowers drop their leaves and here comes the pigweed....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

little darling it's been a cold and lonely winter

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    what pre these days? pigweed is the devil. we usually look fine until the flowers drop their leaves and here comes the pigweed....
    Nothing will hold that long and still let a sunflower grow. Either run some down and spray or hire some amigos
    cut\'em

what would use you to spray that late?

our pigweed is certainly round up resistant. Didnt have good luck last year with cadre. not sure what is next other than gramoxone
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

following
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I used cadre last year and it had zero affect on the pigweed in my field. Would like to try something different this year. Heard of some people using Ziduia, I think that it, over there flowers with good results. Just don't know if I want to take a gamble on a herbicide that might kill my flowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Hadn't heard that one yet but Zidua is in the same class as Dual and Warrant and both work well in sunflowers. Stuff is expensive though, same price range as Cadre.

Late sprays on pigweed, gramoxone or maybe Aim. Dicamba or 24d if it is not more than 6".
    cut\'em

Spot spray or hood spray dicamba or gramoxone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I was referring to late sprays as after leaf drop. If you do that shit during the growing season, well the growing season just ended.
    cut\'em

I will be spraying dual magnum and spartan charge for my preemergent and used it last year with great results. Spray within 3 days before a rain for best results.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Nothing will hold that long and still let a sunflower grow. Either run some down and spray or hire some amigos
    What do you suggest spraying for pigweed if you put drops on your sprayer?
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Has anyone tried Warrant as a Pre-emergent? Had a friend telling me they were spraying it with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    What do you suggest spraying for pigweed if you put drops on your sprayer?
    Nothing really if you have ALS resistant pigweed (Cadre doesn't work). If you can put the drops really low, use low pressure and stay really straight in the furrow you could spray roundup or maybe aim but you are still gonna kill some sunflowers. a hooded sprayer would work much better.

All that said I am planting conventionals this year. With cadre being a weak herbicide and expensive, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Slaya I have used warrant in the past, it is good, same class as dual. might work a little better.
    Last edited by Southernduck; 03-10-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    Has anyone tried Warrant as a Pre-emergent? Had a friend telling me they were spraying it with good results.
    I have had good luck with Warrant, but, like with all of them, you have to get the right amount of rain after application.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Nothing really if you have ALS resistant pigweed (Cadre doesn't work). If you can put the drops really low, use low pressure and stay really straight in the furrow you could spray roundup or maybe aim but you are still gonna kill some sunflowers. a hooded sprayer would work much better.

All that said I am planting conventionals this year. With cadre being a weak herbicide and expensive, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Slaya I have used warrant in the past, it is good, same class as dual. might work a little better.
    I am torn with whether the pigweed is resistant, or if the chemical is just extremely moisture dependent. We have some great years and some terrible. Same pigweed seed bed.
    Last edited by SC quacker2; 03-10-2017 at 10:15 AM.

If you cultivate your rows say 30 days after you plant and spray pre emergent herbicide, are you just hurting yourself by disturbing the soil?

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    If you cultivate your rows say 30 days after you plant and spray pre emergent herbicide, are you just hurting yourself by disturbing the soil?
    Yes