Thread: Bacon

Default Bacon

Haven't been on here in a while but pretty pleased with my new endeavor. Cured some pork bellies and this is the first batch. Semi wet cure with grade B maple, brown sugar, and some hickory smoke. Never ceases to amaze me how much better home made bacon taste.

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

man that looks good. I've been wanting to do that myself.

I was surprised at how easy it was. Main thing is getting your curing salts right. That and some patience. I found it hard to look at a slab of meat in my fridge for a week and not cook it up.

Details?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Not really a whole lot to it. Main thing is to get the right amount of curing salt. Just in reading various recipes, it seemed to be pretty universal on 1 tsp per 5 lbs. Add a little of this and that, let it cure for about 7 days (at least for a dry cure), and then smoke it. This was a sweet one (lots of grade B maple and brown sugar) so I used a hickory smoke to kinda balance the flavor. Turned out damn good though. I've got another one going with a Cajun spice but not sure what kinda smoke to hit it with.

Thoughts anyone?

I'd go with apple with the cajun! You can't beat homemade bacon. It's definitely not cheaper but one hell of a lot better and well worth the time. The first time i tried i ended up with seasoning pork so it does not go to waste any way!

I'd eat that slab as a sammich...minus the bread.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.