Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get serious about choosing a suppressor or two...

Default Want to get serious about choosing a suppressor or two...

Until now I haven't seriously kept track of the various suppressors everyone has been picking up, particularly since they seem to change often enough to render old info almost useless from a purchase perspective.

That being said, didn't someone here recently post a link where a company was selling a .22 suppressor for $100 if you purchased another one at regular price? Unfortunately I can't seem to locate the link so I don't recall what company it was so I can't compare to see if their products were worth the '$ savings'. Does anyone recall who this was? Innovative Arms?

That aside, I'm thinking about both a .22 or .22/.17 variety, and then probably a 9mm, or if it wasn't much loss in effectiveness, or increase in cost and weight, a .45 that I'd use with the 9mm.

Which models would you guys recommend? And why?

Using the standard 1/2x28 screw-on fitting seems most practical for my uses rather then outfitting any rifle or pistol with specific FH's or compensators, et al. The only variance from that might be on a 5.56 for FH/recoil reduction if it really helped along with a suppressor.

School me with fresh info!

Thanks.

And, yes, I'm counting on the HPA passing sometime soon and want to get my order in ahead of time.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If I remember correctly, it was Rebel Silencers that had the $100 .22 suppressor.

Sandman S for 30 Cal and down...... Or the new hybrids ..... Optimus ..... Liberty mystic .......money pitt but it will do everything ...... Little big for 22 handgun but still good for 22 rifle and everything above that is good ..... Put a few 556 rounds through it if you shoot much 22 through it to blow the fouling out

Here's a very well done, detailed article on 'pre-treatment' of rimfire (at least) suppressors in order to make them easier to clean when needed. I had no idea it would be this complicated, but so be it.

http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFlip View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was Rebel Silencers that had the $100 .22 suppressor.
    Thanks for the link. It's a nice, low cost idea, but dealing with aluminum baffles seems like it might not be the $savings it appears to be on the surface. I thought I remembered a $50 stainless upgrade option, but don't see it on their site.

However, my memory seems to tell me that there was another company who's 9mm/30 cal suppressor was something like $499, on sale for $399, and the $299 .22 can was being offered for $100 as a package deal for $499 or something. And that company did offer a stainless or Ti upgrade... I think.

Sound familiar to anyone?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 03-02-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    ~ George Washington

There are a lot of good quality 22 LR suppressors. I like my SilencerCo Sparrow SS for the ruggedness (it'll hold up to a 22 Hornet) and ability to take it down to clean it. Being able to toss the steel components in an ultrasonic cleaner is a bonus.

I've been kicking around a pistol can, but am waiting to see if the HPA passes. The one I've looked at most is the Rugged "Obsidian 45" - as you mentioned it will work with 45 all the way down to 9mm (you can get a 9mm end cap to make it even more efficient), and it will hold 300 AAC subsonics, AND it has a two piece body that can be configured as a shorter can if you like. Plus they are made in Traveler's Rest, SC.

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/obsidian-45/
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Until we get the HPA passed, we're stuck with our current mud bog.

The price of the can is not the biggest cost. If you decide to go with a trust, there's ~$150-$200 to get a lawyer to prepare your paperwork, if you want your application to go through the first time. Next, you have to cough up $200 for the stamp. The real cost, however, is your time. It will take between 6 to 8 months to get your stamp, after you've already paid for the can. No other business organization could get away with such long processing times for approval than the US government. It's ludicrous and a good example why legislators demanded a maximun three day waiting period for NICS checks for normal gun purchases. (That's the loophole that let Dylan Roof buy a gun.) If the legislators didn't demand the three day limit, all gun purchases would take 6-8 months.

But to give the OP some useful info, I have a .22 integrally suppressed rifle barrel that is made of carbon steel and aluminum. It is indeed a bitch to keep clean. I am scared of harsh chemicals that might make cleaning easier. Carbon buildup is the biggest issue especially where the barrel ports exhaust onto the aluminum barrel shroud. It's not too bad but it would be nice to be less fearful of using solvents that might attack aluminum. Other suppressors made of stainless steel, titanium, inconel, monel or other robust metals don't have this issue. It's hard to find something that attacks those metals.

My rifle can (Silencerco Omega) is made for 30 caliber but has end caps for 5.56. I've tried it shooting 5.56 ammo with both the .30 cal and 5.5.6 end caps and the difference is so inconsequential that I never use the 5.56 end cap, just for the safety factor of not having to worry about forgetting to change it before I switch back to .30 cal.

I'm a newb to suppressors but I'm definitely a convert and vocal advocate. I never expected the difference in enjoyment that relatively quiet shooting makes. Shooting is so much more enjoyable when you're not diminishing your permanent hearing and annoying your neighbors. My ears ring all the time from a lifetime of shooting. I hear crickets in the city. Using suppressors should be normal and not the exception. It's just good manners.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-02-2017 at 09:33 PM.

I went with a form 1 and could not be more pleased.

If HPA passes I will consider buying an off the shelf Can. Other than that I will not.

Omega for 30 caliber down
    Spectre 2 for .22 if I'm not mistaken, subsonic ammo and all I hear is the bolt cycle on my 10-22 takedown.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

FWIW, I have a nonservicable, all aluminum .22 can that has had well over 25k rounds through it. I think I sprayed in some brake cleaner once.

When I get another .22 can, I'll probably go stainless so I can shoot WMR, and I'll definitely go serviceable "just because".

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

Yall seen/heard of this:

https://www.solventtrap.net/solvent-...pter-legality/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 50% off certificate for a Thunder Beast. I need to get off my ass and get the process started.

I have a Deadair Mask, whose sentence should be up in a couple weeks. I'll let you know when it gets out of jail.

Shot a gemtech halo on a full auto AR the other day and thought it was pretty cool. I have only shot one other rifle with a suppressor so I by no means am a pro. The halo did just what it is supposed to do. We could comfortably shoot without hearing protection and I liked the way it fastened to the barrel and it was light and barely noticeable. My biggest complaint is the blowback and how dirty it made the rifle. It got dirty pretty quickly, granted we were also shooting some steel cased ammo. I was especially affected by it being a left handed shooter with a right handed rifle. I think suppressors are great but as long as ear plugs are .10c I probably wont be buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I've got a 50% off certificate for a Thunder Beast. I need to get off my ass and get the process started.
    My Thunder Beast is a freaking thing of wonder.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I know nothing about them; hell...never even heard of them before. Guess I'll be adding that to my list to look at.

Still deciding to whether to go ahead and add another to the trust, or just wait and keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Looking at a 30 cal ultra 7 direct thread for a Model 7 in .308.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Looking at a 30 cal ultra 7 direct thread for a Model 7 in .308.
    I need a .30, also. However, I may go with AAC; it just depends on how the Thunder Beast performs.

I see 3 cans being used at PRS events. Thunder Beast Ulta 7, Silencerco Omega and Harvester.

It looks like I've got some research to do, along with deciding how large to go on the caliber, since I've presently only got threaded barrels for 9 mm and 5.56. The .22 is a whole separate issue... I think... Particularly since I like those that are 1" diameter vs the larger ones at 1.3 or so.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington