Thread: String lifespan

Default String lifespan

Thinking about whether my 2013 Elite needs new strings/(and or cables). They dont show chafing marks or nicks.....but they have a good many shots on them. They have been maintained as your supposed too.

How often do you need new strings? Cables? etc....I believe Elites come with Winners Choice which is one of the better brands

General rule is every two years or every few thousand shots. Check for excessive fuzzing or broken strands. Also look to make sure the serving isn't separating anywhere especially where the string bends around the cam. Strings and cables stretch over time regardless if you use it often or not. I would guess after 4 years the cables are stretched out of spec. They can be adjusted by twisting them but since it is that old I would get new ones.

Winners choice are good production strings. Check out some custom builders though. The price isn't much different and you can get any colors you want. Brownell fury is the string material I use, very little fuzzing and zero stretch after two years, cams are still perfectly in time. I'll be replacing them this year, $100 is a whole lot cheaper than a blown up bow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Went ahead and ordered some new strings and cables

check out 60x strings

You guys convinced me. My cable and string still looked pretty good, but I'm pretty sure they're originals at about 10 yrs old, so I dropped the bow off today to get new ones installed.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

A good custom string should last 4 years give or take unless you shoot year round. I start up in about May/June and shoot through Jan 1, occasionally during turkey season, and haven't had any problem getting 4 years out of them. That's assuming you keep them waxed and don't store them in a barn where they're subjected to extreme heat/cold for long periods. I've used VaporTrail for a while and love them. A bow feels 100% different with a good custom string versus the production stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    I've used VaporTrail for a while and love them. A bow feels 100% different with a good custom string versus the production stuff.
    Hmm... He talked me in to an original Parker string because I didn't want any fancy colors since I may hunt turkeys with it.

What difference would I really see with a custom string on a bow that's only shooting 215 fps...?
    ~ George Washington

Shoot the Parker string.

The last one lasted 10yrs, did it not?
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Hmm... He talked me in to an original Parker string because I didn't want any fancy colors since I may hunt turkeys with it.

What difference would I really see with a custom string on a bow that's only shooting 215 fps...?
    My experience with production is that there is less quality and attention to detail. If a string is made where each of the strands are under slightly different tensions that will lead to your peep rotating as you draw. If a string/cable is not properly stretched as it is being made that will lead to it settling over time which means your peep will slowly rotate over time, draw weight will go down, and your bow will begin to come out of spec. That means less performance and the bow will come out of tune.

Custom builders can use different materials than what are typically used in production strings. The materials are stronger which means less strands need to be used which leads to an small increase in speed. Maybe 3-5fps increase, which is nothing. The benefit is in the look of strings (aesthetics and physical durability) and that they will keep your tune.

Custom means custom so if you want neon green, pink, and blue strings you can get them. If you want black, grey, green, brown, and tan strings you can get them too.

Production strings/cables at Jeffery's are or at least were $125 including installation, I bought custom strings and cables for $100 not including installation which I did myself.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Shoot the Parker string.

The last one lasted 10yrs, did it not?
    That's kind of what I figured, turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by dbenn454 View Post
    My experience with production is that there is less quality and attention to detail. If a string is made where each of the strands are under slightly different tensions that will lead to your peep rotating as you draw. If a string/cable is not properly stretched as it is being made that will lead to it settling over time which means your peep will slowly rotate over time, draw weight will go down, and your bow will begin to come out of spec. That means less performance and the bow will come out of tune.

Custom builders can use different materials than what are typically used in production strings. The materials are stronger which means less strands need to be used which leads to an small increase in speed. Maybe 3-5fps increase, which is nothing. The benefit is in the look of strings (aesthetics and physical durability) and that they will keep your tune.
    Interesting info. Thanks for the lesson. I'll keep that in mind for my next string, although if history doesn't change for the future this may be my last one before I retire the bow.

I did specifically tell him I didn't want to have to mess with string stretch and tuning adjustments, et al, so we'll see what he comes up with. He didn't specifically state he was going to order a Parker string, he said "original type", so I'll find out next week.

Thanks again.
    ~ George Washington

Yea the lost noticeable difference you'll see is that the string won't stretch. The draw of the bow will feel tougher and completely different until you get used to it. Nothing wrong with stock strings, just know stuff will typically get out of spec.