Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake Boots - Danner Sharptail, Pronghorn, or Chippewa?

Default Snake Boots - Danner Sharptail, Pronghorn, or Chippewa?

I've left off Jason's new Russell boots, but only because they are beyond my budget for this item.

I've presently got a fairly new pair of Danner Pronghorn snake boots, worn only enough to begin to break them in, but I'm thinking I bought a half-size too large, or too wide (10.5 EE, which is normal for me). Thus, when the news came out last week or so about the Danner Sharptail snake boots being reintroduced I was glad to see it since my regular boots are Sharptails and I've really liked them.

Fwiw... According to Danner C/S, the Pronghorn toe box (current 4th gen and prior 3rd gen) is wider than the Sharptail, which is more of a 'straight-cut' toe box. Thus, an EE width in the Sharptail might fit similar to a D width in the Pronghorn. This seems to explain why my Pronghorn's feel large.

I was going to consider the Chippewa boots, based on older comments from some guys here, and because I like the zipper availability as arthritis in my hand is making it harder to lace a tall boot regularly, but it seems like recent comments might put that choice as #3 on the list.

Somehow I got it in to my head that the Danner Sharptail SB's had a zipper, but that's only on their regular slip-on boot. I've asked one of the Reps if that might be a future option, but they didn't know. Only time will tell.

I do need to find out what the inside circumference is at the top gusset of the Sharptails since my calves are stout, although probably thinner than Jason's according to his comments.

So what's your boot preference between these three... and why?

- Danner Sharptail Slip-On Snake Boots ~ http://www.danner.com/men/hunt/sharp...-17-brown.html

- Danner Pronghorn Lace-Up/Side Zippered Snake Boots ~ http://www.danner.com/catalog/produc.../category/495/ - (I did see at least one set of complaints of failure of this zipper on the Danner site).

- Chippewa Slip-On/Rear Zippered Snake Boots ~ https://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Mens.../dp/B003DX9V7Y - (This zipper appears to have a velcroed flap over it so that if it failed the boot would still be held closed.

Comments?
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-27-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I can only comment on the Chippewas. They are a pain to get on/off until they are broken in. I spent over an hour trying to get my foot in one boot when I first opened the box. They are much easier now, but not still what I would call "broken in". I found them to run a half size larger than my normal shoe size. My plan is to wear them around the house and while doing some yard work. I know I need a heel insert/pad on one boot.

Even with more break in required, I think they are very comfortable boots and seem to be molding to my feet.

I had my eyes on a pair of Sharptails years ago and before I could buy they were discontinued.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

I love my sharptails. I was glad to see them back in the line up as the pair I bought eight years ago are on their last leg.

I don't have a single complaint about my Chippewas. I'm on my second pair and they are great and have served me well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Default Snake Boots - Danner Sharptail, Pronghorn, or Chippewa?

I've had the pronghorns for 2 years now, I got them for $125 when one of those stores online was having a sale. Prior to these I had written off lace up snakers and wore lacrosse grange and alphas 99% of the time. These Danners are nice, light years ahead of those crappy rocky boots. Durable, light and still waterproof. I never thought I'd say that about a laceup.

Mine are not the side zippered version.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-27-2017 at 07:15 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

If anybody got a pair of 12 Chippewas and they want to sell. Let me know.

Finally something Tim doesn't have! Although he may have them in a size 10
    every expert was once a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    Damn mrtroy, even I don't own everything, just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    If anybody got a pair of 12 Chippewas and they want to sell. Let me know.
    I have a pair of 12 Chippewa's. I bought them off here. They are a great pair of boots.

Oh but I don't want to sell them. I was just letting you know. We seem to be the same size and it's hell to have the king of the trading post beat you to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I have a pair of 12 Chippewa's. I bought them off here. They are a great pair of boots.

Oh but I don't want to sell them. I was just letting you know. We seem to be the same size and it's hell to have the king of the trading post beat you to everything.
    Didn't you get a pair of 13 Chippewa from me?

I had a pair of Sharptails for 7 years before I bought my Chippewas. I wore them to shreds. Up until the last year they were still waterproof. They were the best boots I've ever owned. I've had the Chippewas 2 years now. They're still waterproof but they're not near as comfortable and I've already worn the soles down flat almost. I can't tell you how many times I busted my butt during turkey season. Now that the Sharptails are back I've bought a new pair. If they're anything like the first pair I'll be pleased. For sure go Sharptail
    Last edited by PJ1012; 02-27-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Never a zipper nor laces for me on a snake boot. Zippers get gunked with mud and laces snag up on briars, become untied etc.

I have a pair of the old Danner Sharptails that have been worn slap to hell and back. The canvas is worn through in several places, the leather is in shreds and the sole is worn down. They are still the most comfortable and remain waterproof. I think they are 10 years old. I have several other pairs and brands that don't hold a candle to them.

I second the sharptails.
    Genesis 9;2

Sharp tail all day long for comfort and light weight if the new ones are like the old ones. I have a pair of Chippewas that I bought to hog hunt in when danner quit with the sharp tails and they are nice boots but very heavy weight wise. I usually end up in a pair of muck boots or lacrosse.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Didn't you get a pair of 13 Chippewa from me?
    That would be fitting if I tried to talk trash to the king of the TP to find out I bought a pair from him. I normally wear a 12.5 so might have been.

Guess I got a lemon.. my sharptails were very comfortable but within 3yrs they were trash. Leaked, soles came off, etc. my 6" lace ups went to the trash can even faster. Very comfortable but I'm 0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Never a zipper nor laces for me on a snake boot. Zippers get gunked with mud and laces snag up on briars, become untied etc.
    That's the nice thing about the Chippewa zippers as they're covered with a leather/nylon strip with velcro that hides the rear zipper, vs the open side zippers on the new Pronghorn. And tucking the tops of the laces in to the boot does help with keeping them from snagging too bad, or wearing gaitors if you need to due to heavy briars. I've not found that to be a big issue, but I hunt in more open woodlands, etc, than you may.

I'm going to try to talk myself in to a pair of the Sharptails, but will need to sell my fairly new Pronghorns to do it.

Thanks for all the input, guys.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-28-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    ~ George Washington

On my third season with my Chippewa's and no complaints yet other than the first few times you put them on it's a pain in the ass.

They are comfortable, waterproof, and have held up well. I don't see why I can't get a few more seasons out of them, maybe even more
    Last edited by Gut_Pile; 02-28-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I have a pair of Sharptails that I all but wore out over the last 9 years all over the world. They are still the most comfortable boot I own, unfortunately I wore holes through them from use. I still wear them when I know I won't be going through any water. I bought a pair of the lace up Danner snake boots in bottom land last year. I only wore them around 10 times, but I've had no complaints, they're light and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Guess I got a lemon.. my sharptails were very comfortable but within 3yrs they were trash. Leaked, soles came off, etc. my 6" lace ups went to the trash can even faster. Very comfortable but I'm 0-2

That's how you got your screen name isn't it?