Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offshore trip

If you go out trolling you'll be fine. It's when you anchor and bottom fish is when you'll get sick if you do.drink beer and have a good time and you'll be fine. It's not all mental though I'm an experienced offshore fisherman and till this day if I go down into the cabin to do something and it's rockin I start to feel it. Good luck

My old man has been fishing offshore since he was in his 20's and has never gotten seasick according to him. We went out one day two summers ago, and it was sporty even in his friend's 50 something foot sportfisher, and he was laid up sick all day. I've never gotten sick after preemptively taking Dramamine, but that could go along with the mental aspect of it.

I got sick one time when I ate bad Chinese food

If you are going weekend of May 28th, don't count on the trolling being all that great. A few years ago, I would have told you that's a great time to go, but last year trolling died out in mid-May and the previous year around the last weekend in May. Seems that they are coming through a bit sooner and the bite is dying off sooner. I'm not saying you won't catch anything May 28th, but I'm just saying you will likely be past the "prime" time if comparing to the last few years. On top of that, we've had a mild winter and the water is already pretty warm relative to this time of year.

I think if you are going to go that weekend, you should call Mark Brown on the Teaser 2 in Charleston and book a bottom fishing trip. He can take more than 6 on that boat in case a few more people want to go. If you want "action", then bottom fishing is the place to get it. You are more than likely to catch a few dolphin swimming up behind the boat while bottom fishing.

Oh yeah, get the patch. I've seen a lot of people get sick on Dramamine, but I have NEVER seen someone get sick when taking the patch. Just do it and don't worry about it.
    Last edited by jasonw; 02-27-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Book a trip to go trolling. Even late May will still be good. I don't put my trolling gear away until mid June regardless of it being hit or miss.

Late may has been good for us the past 3 years. This pic is from last year on May 22nd.

Book a trip and have fun. You won't regret it at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

Call Tide Down out of Ripley light, they have a newer fast boat, do a great job and good guys, also less money than many others.
    I would steer clear of this outfit, There are better options out there IMO. As said earlier, Mark on the Teaser if more than 6, Gaspar on Wadmacallit, or Bobby K on Daymaker would be a much better bet.

EDIT TO ADD:

Seeing the picture above, reminds me that I always see the Massenburg boys from Family Tradition at the fish cleaning table....not sure if they charter or not, but they definitely catch some fish.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 02-27-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I would steer clear of this outfit, There are better options out there IMO. As said earlier, Mark on the Teaser if more than 6, Gaspar on Wadmacallit, or Bobby K on Daymaker would be a much better bet.

EDIT TO ADD:

Seeing the picture above, reminds me that I always see the Massenburg boys from Family Tradition at the fish cleaning table....not sure if they charter or not, but they definitely catch some fish.
    Family Tradition does charter. We have been fishing with them 4 years now and haven't been displeased yet. We've always come back to the dock with plenty of fish for our group. Not the newest/nicest boat in the fleet, but he'll all we do is drink and reel anyways so it never mattered to us...

Another option is Ben Polk on the Jabez. He is excellent at both trolling and bottom fishing. If you want to start out trolling and the fish haven't been doing anything, he can switch it up and have you catching some bottom dwellers. http://www.jabezcharters.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Late may has been good for us the past 3 years. This pic is from last year on May 22nd.

Book a trip and have fun. You won't regret it at all..
    Just curious, when you say, "late may has been good to us", how many trips did you do last may? Just the one or multiple?

Bo if you can't catch dolphin into June, hell July, then you aren't holding your mouth right.

Late June is perfect for 10 dolphin by lunch and bottom fish til 3.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I would argue that seasickness is not all mental. I took my 10 yr old this past summer out of Oregon Inlet tuna fishing and we had not been past the Bonner bridge for 45 minutes when he sad "daddy my stomache is starting to hurt". Another 15 minutes and he was puking. He had a long day but at least he was able to puke in the air condition with out salt spray drenching him. He did rally to catch a nice yellowfin which made his trip. It will be awhile before I can get him back on the ocean. He did not have a clue about seasickness and the main reason was I did not want him to get it in his head before he tried it.

I always drink a Strawberry Yoohoo before going offshore and have never been sick, ever. 'Something to think about.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Bo if you can't catch dolphin into June, hell July, then you aren't holding your mouth right.

Late June is perfect for 10 dolphin by lunch and bottom fish til 3.
    That certainly used to be the case. Hasn't been that way for the past couple of years if you look at the fleet as a whole.

http://daymakercharters.com - call the krivolahveks and see if they can get you out there. I've known them all my life, great people and know how to get on a fish. We go once a year and everyone manages to catch a mess of fish that wants to and have a great time. 58 foot custom carolina, so take a nap on the way out and on the way back in if you need. Tell them it's a batchelor party and they may be able to hook you up with some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by reeseblank View Post
    http://daymakercharters.com - call the krivolahveks and see if they can get you out there. I've known them all my life, great people and know how to get on a fish. We go once a year and everyone manages to catch a mess of fish that wants to and have a great time. 58 foot custom carolina, so take a nap on the way out and on the way back in if you need. Tell them it's a batchelor party and they may be able to hook you up with some fun.
    If you're lucky they may let you shoot some sporting clays off of the deck on the way back in.

Seasickness (or Motion Sickness) is an actual physiological condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement. When this occurs, the cycles of the stomach increase until the effected heybo blows chunks.

Hope this helps.

reefdonkeys and mahis mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Seasickness (or Motion Sickness) is an actual physiological condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement. When this occurs, the cycles of the stomach increase until the effected heybo blows chunks.

Hope this helps.
    Agree..many moons ago, my father and grandfather used to always make someone that was getting sick come up top and drive. They said that paying attention to what the boat was getting ready to do helped ease the effects. It's worked for 40+ years for me.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 02-28-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    How often do these folks go on a boat?

Not a 16ft jonboat on a tide creek, really on a boat?

I've seen folks get sick at the jetties.
    A rocking, wobbling, boat all day.....something to think about.

That said, you are gonna be hard pressed to find a good boat where you get to determine the date.
    So be flexible and prepared to spend 1800.00 minus tips.

Have fun.
    What the heck does 1800 minus tips mean? You mean 1800 plus tips? Dyslexia?