Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberty gun safe

Default Liberty gun safe

Anyone own a Liberty gun safe? I looked at one in Schofield hardware in Florence this weekend. I'm interested in a Centurion 18, any good?

I have one.....No problems in 13 years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Buy bigger than you need. I've heard good things about liberty safes. I have a Champion though.
    Go Tigers!!!

I recently purchased a Liberty and have been very pleased thus far.

For what it’s worth, buy bigger than what you think you need. I have a 48 and already wish I had gone a little bigger.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu

Liberty makes some good safes, but I think the Centurion is their entry level model. I would just compare its specs against other similar priced models. I do think that Liberty model will be better than other entry level safes. At one time, some of the Centurion models were made in China, but I think they are all made in America now.
    Last edited by wbrown609; 04-02-2017 at 08:32 PM.

I have one and it has been great. It's has a mechanical combination lock, which I prefer but I didn't get it big enough. It's a 24 gun and I should have bought a 48 or 60. I'll buy another one.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

For most safes, multiple the number of guns it is supposed to carry by 65% or so. So an 18 gun model would likely hold 18 x 0.65 = 11.7, round up to 12.

So it'll hold 12 guns at best, YMMV depending on the number of bolt guns and guns with scopes.

I've had one for 13 years also and no problems except it shrunk. Buy the biggest that you can, you'll thank us later. I picked up a Winchester 18 today at Tractor Supply on sale to house several orphans living in various corners due to no more room in the Liberty.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 04-02-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

They are pretty until your house catches fire. I won't rehash but use search function. I wouldn't keep a BB gun in a liberty. And their lifetime warranty isn't worth the paper it's on.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I own a Liberty. I've never had any problems other than (like everyone up says) it shrunk. Definitely buy as big as you can afford, and bolt it down.

I did some research on safes a few weeks back. For the most part, in a total house fire anything in your safe is going to be trash (especially guns). A gun might "survive" in a concrete lined safe, but it's going to look like it has been through the pitts of hell.

Anyway, I ended up talking to this lad @ http://www.griffinsafes.com/ He can answer all of your questions, but you will need some patience. I will probably end up going with a Griffin in the next few weeks.

His "concrete lined safe" is the best against an all out fire, but the phrase "preservation of contents" must be taken with a grain of salt. Watch his videos and you will see what I am talking about.
    Last edited by jasonw; 04-03-2017 at 09:54 AM.

sturdy safe https://www.sturdysafe.com/ ugly but pure function, watch all the vids, I also am going to store water jugs on top of safe for a little extra time during fire

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    sturdy safe https://www.sturdysafe.com/ ugly but pure function, watch all the vids, I also am going to store water jugs on top of safe for a little extra time during fire
    Interesting concept. How many gallons, and how long do you think it will extend the time?

Fwiw, I've got a Heritage Centennial Series safe for my primary safe, well secured to the floor. Were I to do it again, I'd look at those Griffins, but the location of your safe also plays a role in how hot a fire gets and whether the safe will really take the brunt of it.

http://www.heritagesafe.com/heritage...al-series.html

I'm also a believer in not putting all your eggs in one basket. You don't want to have all your guns locked up in case the lock fails (electronic or mechanical), or if the safe is stolen. Just sayin'...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

fire proofing in a standard gun safe or RSC, residential security container ( us gov designation) , is from the sheet rock in the lining, the sheet rock has little insulation value but hods water as it is made. Under high heat the water evaporates and becomes vapor, this carries off the heat as it gets into the safe. As soon as all the water vapor is gone, poof goes the contents. Concrete lined safes provide a little extra security, a lot depending on the conglomerate, some insulation value, and holds way more water than sheet rock. Think of mixing concrete in a barrel, that water is still in the hardened concrete. Again, high heat will cause it the evaporate into the safe, keeping it cooler longer. Fires normally travel along the ceilings of a structure. I plan on building basically a closet around my safe with fiber insulation bats. Rock Wool if I can get it. Basically cover the top of the safe in One gallon jugs of water. As the fries get hot enough the jugs will rupture. Soaking the insulation. If you have ever picked up fiberglass bats that have been soaked, they are heavy and hold a lot of water. Keeping the safe cool. The basic thought is to create another fire barrier outside the safe rather cheaply. I live outside of town and the fire response time will be longer. I am going with a sturdy safe due to its heavy steel construction. They use industrial oven insulation to keep the heat out of the safe instead of using water vapor to mediate the in interior temp.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I'm not convinced a plastic bottle full of water would bust until all the water boiled out. You can boil water in a plastic jug. The heat transfers too quickly to melt the plastic.

My brother's apartment burned many years ago. One of the people inside was found dead on my brother's waterbed. The covers had burned completely off of it but the mattress was still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I'm not convinced a plastic bottle full of water would bust until all the water boiled out. You can boil water in a plastic jug. The heat transfers too quickly to melt the plastic.

My brother's apartment burned many years ago. One of the people inside was found dead on my brother's waterbed. The covers had burned completely off of it but the mattress was still intact.
    The water acts as a heat sink. I bet the boards under the water were fine. Same idea, as fire normally travels along the ceilings first. Protect the safe from the heat above. any thing falling on it should rupture the jugs, I would think. Old boy scout way of boiling an egg was to place water in a wax paper cup. Place in coals and boil your egg. Paper cup is fine until the water evaporates.

Just trying to buy a little more time for the fire department.

I've got a liberty centurion and it has served me well.

Like other mentioned, it gets tight quick and you will have to use your imagination to get 18 guns in there all at one time.
    The stock is collapsed on my AR and pushed back in as far as possible under the barrel rest rack and I even have one or two shotguns stored barrel down to try to make a little extra room for scoped rifles
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Whatever you get, add 2 Goldenrods if it is a large safe...1 if less than 36.

Also, inside motion lights are VERY nice to have.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

Does anybody really have any complaints about the liberty centurion? I don't really care about the fire proofing, I'm more concerned about theft. I'm thinking about getting a pair of 24 gun safes for some guns I've got laying around.

I'm kind of feel the same way , if it burns it burns. I'll deal with that if it ever happens. I'm more worried about thief.