Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 World Pipe Tapping Championship

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default 2016 World Pipe Tapping Championship

Never heard of this, heck I never would have thought about a competition for pipe tapping. Pretty cool though.

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Ain't nothing to it, I seen two deductions for time. Too much teflon tape and heavy ass pipe wrenches .

Ray Greenwood CPW went to the nationals last year and I believe they were up near the top.

Greenwood Metro also went to the nationals in the wastewater division and was in the top of class 2 teams
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Ain't nothing to it, I seen two deductions for time. Too much teflon tape and heavy ass pipe wrenches .
    How many times you ever pulled a B101 tapping machine on ductile iron?

It ain't no joke

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post

It ain't no joke
    How many times you drill , bored , and tapped a 8" hole 12" deep in a turbine casing? I believe a B101 tapping machine is child's play.

How many times you drill , bored , and tapped a 8" hole 12" deep in a turbine casing? I believe a B101 tapping machine is child's play.
    So you ain't ever pulled one?

This

And to answer your question I've never tapped a turbine.

But come on man teflon tape on flared fittings and corporations? Unless you have an inside joke or something you don't know about water taps

And to answer your question I've never tapped a turbine.

But come on man teflon tape on flared fittings and corporations? Unless you have an inside joke or something you don't know about water taps
    It was a joke about teflon tape and pipe wrenches, but what is a corporation ? Or is that a compression fitting

It was a joke about teflon tape and pipe wrenches, but what is a corporation ? Or is that a compression fitting
    Ah ok I didn't "get" it.

The corporation is the part that screws into the ductile iron pipe itself. Then the flared copper ties onto the corporation. The corp is also a valve that turns on and off.

So in the video the first part on the tapping machine was cutting and threading the pipe. They then flip a flapper to keep the water from blowing and take the top of the machine off. Then thread the corporation into the top part of the machine and thread he corp into the pipe. Then remove machine and tie in the copper.

I can tell you tapping a 30-36" water main near the water plant with only that machine and al that pressure is scary lol

It ain't no joke
    That 101 is a walk in the park compared to the Tapmate 2 I ran for several years. I enjoy selling tap machines much more than using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    That 101 is a walk in the park compared to the Tapmate 2 I ran for several years. I enjoy selling tap machines much more than using them.
    No doubt. They ain't no joke. I contracted out part time when I was younger and we would install all the services in new sub division. We done all phases of hunters creek golf course and Harborside which is a neighborhood below Mergie.

Most I ever done was 76 in a day. Better than any upper body workout I've ever had

I guess my best adventure was doing 2- 8"" taps at 80' high from a snorkel lift in the ceiling at BMW. It was also the day I discovered I'm afraid of heights.

Plumbers...I swear.

Put down your copper, pvc and ductile/cast iron and come run 4500# steam and weld some C12A.

It ain't no joke
    Usually do two or three a day like you said the B 101 is easy. Now on the other hand pull on the A-3 machine and install 3 or 4 2" taps in 8 hours and see what a wore out a$$ you are. By the way we just got a new A-3 machine after 25 year

Yes the b101 ain't bad if you can pace yourself or do a few a day.

I do know when you are ripping like they do in the competition is rough

Yes the b101 ain't bad if you can pace yourself or do a few a day.

I do know when you are ripping like they do in the competition is rough
    No doubt they are ripping it. I have seen teams in competition several times in years past at the AWWA schools. Interesting to watch but not practical in the real world of laying water lines and making service taps.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Plumbers...I swear.

Put down your copper, pvc and ductile/cast iron and come run 4500# steam and weld some C12A.
    I'll do that if you'll hop into a ditch with knee deep mud on a 30 degree day, install a heavy ass tapping sleeve, then install a heavy ass tapping valve, pull a pressure test and hold it for 30 minutes, then bell up a heavy ass tapping machine, tap the pipe with a dull shell cutter, remove machine, close valve, and retrieve coupon from said machine for inspector, all while cars are zipping by at 70 mph 5' from your head.

Edit: By yourself! There ain't no "tap teams" in the real world.

I'd rather sandpaper a lion's balls in a phone booth than ever do another wet tap.
    Last edited by Pcole; 03-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    I'll do that if you'll hop into a ditch with knee deep mud on a 30 degree day, install a heavy ass tapping sleeve, then install a heavy ass tapping valve, pull a pressure test and hold it for 30 minutes, then bell up a heavy ass tapping machine, tap the pipe with a dull shell cutter, remove machine, close valve, and retrieve coupon from said machine for inspector, all while cars are zipping by at 70 mph 5' from your head.

Edit: By yourself! There ain't no "tap teams" in the real world.

I'd rather sandpaper a lion's balls in a phone booth than ever do another wet tap.

My man!!! You get it for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by joelt1971 View Post
    No doubt they are ripping it. I have seen teams in competition several times in years past at the AWWA schools. Interesting to watch but not practical in the real world of laying water lines and making service taps.
    Heck no! Break that bit off then you are working the line hot trying to get a repair clamp on it