Thread: 870 Express 20ga

Default 870 Express 20ga

Since the one in the TP sold I'll go ahead and ask why in the hell, with all the love for these shotguns, doesn't anyone just go buy a brand spanking new one? A 20 sec search online and I found that Academy has it for $289 and Remington has a $50 rebate going on until the end of March. Go to Academy, tell em you want it. When they say they don't have it in stock tell em to order it and pay for it right there and get the rebate info off the website and send it in. You're welcome.

ETA--Just saw Biggie's post. Great minds think alike.
    Last edited by triplebeard; 02-21-2017 at 10:41 PM.

The older ones had much more work done on the barrels, better quality I'd assume. If you are looking to buy you better look down the barrel on the newer ones or those made in recent years. You might be surprised at the tool marks you could see.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    The older ones had much more work done on the barrels, better quality I'd assume. If you are looking to buy you better look down the barrel on the newer ones or those made in recent years. You might be surprised at the tool marks you could see.
    You're right, Spur. But since precision shooting isn't a big issue, I would think a brake hone with a drill bit extension and some cutting oil and those barrels could smooth out quite a bit.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    You're right, Spur. But since precision shooting isn't a big issue, I would think a brake hone with a drill bit extension and some cutting oil and those barrels could smooth out quite a bit.
    Best thing to do is get a bunch of scotchbright, oil, long cleaning arm and your drill, go to town on that barrel and it'll polish up pretty dang well. Spur is right though, the newer guns are bad about tooling marks.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Remington 870s built in the last 10 years are liable to shoot 2-3' off of where you aim a turkey load at 20 yards.

I've seen no less than 3 do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Remington 870s built in the last 20 years are liable to shoot 2-3' off of where you aim a turkey load at 20 yards.
    Junk and fixed it for you. Junk as far as a shotgun goes. Nice boat paddle.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Best thing to do is get a bunch of scotchbright, oil, long cleaning arm and your drill, go to town on that barrel and it'll polish up pretty dang well. Spur is right though, the newer guns are bad about tooling marks.
    You're right for polishing. I was thinking the hone to smooth out the tool marks where possible. Take too much and I guess you might create some issues, but that would take some serious effort.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-23-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

In addition...the old guns had metal trigger housings. About 6-7(?) years ago, they switched to plastic.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.

If it ain't a Wingmaster than you're doing something wrong. Like not enjoying the finer things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    If it ain't a Wingmaster than you're doing something wrong. Like not enjoying the finer things in life.
    Pretty much, the older express models were good too. I love my express

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I have two 12ga 870SM express that came with tool marked up barrels. One had the choke threads drilled off center, yes off center and visible to the naked eye. Remington sent me a new barrel for it after I called them, no questions asked, and didn't even want the old one back. Second barrel came with same tool marks. I polished both barrels on both guns and they shoot straight. Both guns cost $320 and had $60 rebates on them at the time. I guess I got what I paid for but don't intend to ever buy another gun that I have to polish a barrel on. Have polished 6 gun barrels with good results on all but one.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-24-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles