Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hog/coyote bill

Default Hog/coyote bill

Can you be trusted to hunt hogs and coyotes year round with the aide of night vision and infrared scopes and not shoot that giant nocturnal buck?

H 3748
    Session 122 (2017-2018)

H 3748 General Bill, By Pitts, Hiott, Hixon and Yow
    A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 50-11-710, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA,
    1976, RELATING TO THE NIGHT HUNTING OF CERTAIN ANIMALS, SO AS TO DELETE THE
    PROVISIONS THAT REGULATE THE HUNTING OF FERAL HOGS, COYOTES, AND ARMADILLOS,
    TO DELETE THE PROVISIONS THAT DEFINE THE TERMS "NIGHT" AND "NOTICE TO THE
    DEPARTMENT", AND TO DELETE THE PENALTY ASSOCIATED WITH THE VIOLATION OF THE
    PROVISIONS RELATING TO THE NIGHT HUNTING OF FERAL HOGS, COYOTES, AND
    ARMADILLOS; AND BY ADDING SECTION 50-11-715 SO AS TO PROVIDE FOR THE HUNTING
    OF FERAL HOGS, COYOTES, AND ARMADILLOS AT NIGHT, AND TO PROVIDE PENALTIES FOR
    VIOLATIONS OF THIS SECTION.

02/14/17 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 47)
    02/14/17 House Referred to Committee on Agriculture, Natural
    Resources and Environmental Affairs
    (House Journal-page 47)
    02/15/17 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Yow
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

My eyesight not very good at times
    The go to cool person

Quote Originally Posted by deucejiggalo View Post
    My eyesight not very good at times
    Please go away.

I'm game. I think most states have open war on them year 'round at night. I just bought a cheap ATN night sight to do open battle on our hogs anyway.

Somebody who will kill a deer at night will do it anyway, regardless of the law.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I can, what others do on their property is their business. If they want to shoot deer at night they are going to anyways and are probably already doing it.

I am sure DNR is opposed. They enforce game laws and see everyday. This bill will make night hunting legal. Please table this bill. There are not enough hunters willing to hunt at night to make a dent in either. Only trapping dents hogs and coyotes not recreational night hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This bill will make us thankful for the Senate again.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    I can, what others do on their property is their business. If they want to shoot deer at night they are going to anyways and are probably already doing it.
    Me too. Farmer friends call it a crop protection permit. They smile when they see buzzards in the field and smile even more when turning peanuts and a deer carcass is turned along with peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Please go away.
    Last edited by deucejiggalo; 02-21-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    The go to cool person

And no
    The go to cool person

If people want to night hunt, they will. No amount of laws will stop it. I'd love to have the ability to shoot them at night and not have to worry about it.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

The penalty for shooting a deer at night will rise to 10 year suspension of hunting license and loss of all gear and transportation.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Would probably work better, as far as sheer number of animals killed, with a defined season or multiple defined seasons. Then there is an impetus to go, because the "season" is in. There is less drive to go when you can put it off to next week, or the next, or the next...

Probably make enforcement easier as well as you know when people are out doing it.

Centerfire rifles at night. What could go wrong?

The penalty for shooting a deer at night will rise to 10 year suspension of hunting license and loss of all gear and transportation.

That's pretty steep. Would that apply to the fella who forgets to check his phone/watch and kills a doe 30 seconds after legal shooting light?
    Last edited by dentaldog; 02-22-2017 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deucejiggalo View Post
    And no
    There you go....keep up the fight! There are a few prick mofos on here. After you give it back to them a few times they shut the f*** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Centerfire rifles at night. What could go wrong?

I bet if you saw 3/4ths of the guys on here in the day time with centerfire rifles you'd become concerned
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by dentaldog View Post

That's pretty steep. Would that apply to the fella who forgets to check his phone/watch and kills a doe 30 seconds after legal shooting light?
    Legal shooting time is way after good shooting light. If you "accidentally" shoot a deer too late in this state, you're dangerous anyway.

I think our legal shooting time was designed to let a hunter sit until it's absolutely too dark to see and then climb out of the stand and walk out with a flashlight and get all the way back to the truck before it's considered "night". It keeps us from being charged with night hunting while walking back out.

Terrible idea

Quote Originally Posted by dentaldog View Post

That is insane! A 10 year suspension? That's just beyond stupid. A nice $1,000 fine would be sufficient. Every young hunter has to learn ethics on their own time. Allowing night hunting during deer season and then putting penalties in place like that is a set up for young people. I think dnr is behind this to give them some work. Our current game laws make too much sense. I doubt there are many people that violate our current laws so dnr isn't about to write many tickets. This is a way to set people up so that they can generate revenue and show a "need" for wildlife officers. Jeez.