Thread: Whatcha plantin' this year, corn ponders?

Default Whatcha plantin' this year, corn ponders?

The plan for us this year is to go 100% Pioneer 1690. The "thousand-year storms" that came along in the fall of 2015 and 2016 have us twitchy about high water damage to the standing corn. Next year we may go to half and half Pioneer and Augusta 2852.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Corn of course! As much as possible!! Every damn inch! Oh yeah- Pioneer 1443

ABB you may be the only person I know that associated stalk strength and pioneer in a positive light. In the right conditions it is damn good corn but it is the first thing to fall down.
    cut\'em

The Pioneer stalks stood up fine. Problem was that some of the ears got inundated by the flood. This corn developed mold/mildew/black rot and ducks wouldn't touch it. The corn that wasn't wet (maybe 25% of the crop) was fine, but the food ran out way too soon.

The Augusta had lower-placed ears that all got inundated and the resulting mold/mildew/rot rendered the whole crop worthless for ducks. We're not expecting a third straight year with record water levels, but we're going back to the Pioneer with higher-placed ears....just in case.

BTW - I really liked the Augusta ear placement, but I don't think we're ever gonna put the whole field in it again. May use it in part of the field, though.
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

Waiting on soil tests. Matthew may have screwed us for a while.