Thread: Swamp Fish ID

Default Swamp Fish ID

Scooped this one out of a Pee Dee River swamp. I was hoping it was a fingerling mudfish for the aquarium when I grabbed it, but I can't figure out what it is. Rubberhead, Highstrung, Bog, other fish nerds, any ideas?

Pirate Perch...I think...We've tried to keep them in an aquarium but they're finicky eaters.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That's what happens to crappie minnows that get off your hook
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Looks like you nailed it. I thought the fins looked like a perch. He's tucked down in the vallisneria in my tank right now. I'm going to see if I can keep him alive for a while anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Looks like you nailed it. I thought the fins looked like a perch. He's tucked down in the vallisneria in my tank right now. I'm going to see if I can keep him alive for a while anyway.
    I've done a little research - the books mention that they're most active at dusk and dawn so you might want to try to feed them with frozen blood worms about 30 minutes after shutting off the lights (if you have other fish in the tank). Let us know how it does.

That's it Rubberhead. That's pretty cool.

How's the little guy doing?

Been a while since I have seen one. The branch where I grew up that's off 4 holes dried up years ago. All the fish were in puddles. There was 8-10 different species in the holes.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 02-25-2017 at 10:35 PM.

He's doing well. He isn't the most active fish now that he has a hollow in the grass dug out where he hides. A wriggling redworm pinched in half is gone as soon as it drops in front of him.

I found a good new patch of swamp yesterday. The seasonal floods fill it up I guess. Full of minnows (and wood ducks). I need to get a seine in there before the snakes and gators get any more active. I almost stepped on one of the former and saw a 10-11' specimen of the latter in the last few days.

Getting him to eat is half of the battle.

If there's not a lot of sticks, a 4' cast net with a 1/4" mesh is good for catching some aquarium sized fish. But you might not want to loop it too tightly just in case you hit that 11 footer.

Some of the native killi fish are active in the top 1/3 of the water column and easy to keep.