Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 700 on 60 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Nolo Contendere View Post
    I was able to adjust a Remington trigger (think it was an X-mark Pro) down to the point that it would slam-fire (fire upon closure of the bolt) or trigger would drop if the gun was jarred even slightly- very disconcerting to say the least.
    All my 700's (4) have Timneys - accepted & 0 complaints.
    Many, probably most, adjustable triggers can be adjusted to the point of slam firing. Testing for that is part of the adjusting process. A stock Remington 700 trigger probably isn't safe adjusted to lower than 2 or 3 lbs. but a hunting rifle shouldn't have one that light anyway.

I looked mine up on the link a buddy sent me. It showed that the recall was from 2006 or so, and later. No worries here. I have a 96 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I just checked my 700 that has the x mark pro trigger and it's one of the ones subject to recall. Oh well, it's been fine for 3 years so I'm not to concerned.

I replaced the trigger on mine right after I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I just checked my 700 that has the x mark pro trigger and it's one of the ones subject to recall. Oh well, it's been fine for 3 years so I'm not to concerned.
    If I was you, just because they've done the recall, I'd get it done. If something were to ever happen and you hadn't gotten their new trigger, I'd think you'd have some culpability to deal with.

Pray tell it's never an issue, but in a case like this it's always 'better to be safe than sorry'.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    If I was you, just because they've done the recall, I'd get it done. If something were to ever happen and you hadn't gotten their new trigger, I'd think you'd have some culpability to deal with.

Pray tell it's never an issue, but in a case like this it's always 'better to be safe than sorry'.
    I've somewhat retired that rifle, but if I decide to start using it again I'll probably put a timney trigger in it. Until then it will probably just collect dust until I decide to upgrade the trigger, stock and scope.

Got a Model 12 skeet that will rip one off about every 3rd time you rack a shell in. I really need to get that fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
    Without really thinking about it I have traded or sold all of my 700's over the years for Weatherby Vanguards. I've never had a problem with them and they shoot just as good as a 700. Their actions are not bad either and plenty of aftermarket items to trick them out.
    My father has a vanguard in 7mm mag. Fired when you closed the bolt. After the first incident I cycled the bolt several times on an empty chamber. Fired every time.
    Sent to Weatherby and they fixed it. Dont know if there was an open recall or not.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I have seen one model 700 trigger personally that would fire when the safety was switched from safe to fire. It was very gunked up from years of collecting oil and cleaning solvent. It was on a friends gun. He got scared and got a Timney and I installed it for him. I told him all the old one needed was a thorough cleaning but he wouldn't have it so he gave it to me. Took about an hour to clean it but I have been using it for about 10 years. There is NOTHING wrong with the model 700 trigger (non X Mark) but the design is such that it catches oil from over lubing the bolt and/or dripping cleaning solvent. This is due to the cylindrical receiver that naturally drains to the trigger. The trigger has some close fitting parts that are not very tolerant of getting gummed up from fluid collection.

It is easy to tell if your trigger is gummed up. Just remove the bolt and firmly press down on the sear (top of the trigger that engages the bolt cocking piece) with your finger while pulling the trigger. Now slowly release the trigger while holding the sear down. Next as you slowly release the sear you should hear and feel a distinct "click" as the trigger resets. If you look closely you can actually see the trigger jump. If it feels smooth or mushy and does not have the click, it is likely gummed up and possibly quite dangerous. This of course assumes that the trigger has not been improperly adjusted. A distinct "click" means that everything is moving in the trigger as it should. A very small spring causes everything to reset and function as it should. When the moving parts get gummed up, the spring can't force everything to function as it should.

NEVER lube a Model 700 trigger.....I mean NEVER. Only flush it out occasionally with lighter fluid. This will flush out any non gummed oil or solvent that has collected and will leave a slight protective film. If the trigger is already gummed, it will take a lot more cleaning than lighter fluid can do.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 03-03-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.