Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: doe day with tags

I never understood why we had doe days before but wby the hell do we still have them now. Especially now that you can only kill so many. It was my understanding that you could now take a doe whenever you wanted. Guess I did not understand the law when it was being passed.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-20-2017 at 12:12 PM.

No this was a big contention during the meetings an after vigorous debate it was decided in order to keep the masses happy doe days or the ability to kill X amount of deer would have to be accepted by Dnr.

Dnr wanted to get rid of the days an the ability to harvest that many does if anyone recalls their position back then.

The compromise was to allow the days but make the deer harvested on those days tagged.

Make no mistake there are several angles being worked here.

I disagree with several.

There is no secret I want less bucks shot but how we got here an some of the other parts going on are not what I want to see.

But it was politics.

I had to hold my nose an pick the lesser of two evils to get something.

I wish we or the limited buck harvest crowd had held out for a better deal but the fact this only comes around every 10 years inspired some to take the approach of boiling the frog slowly.

I don't like it but I'll work with in the confinds of the law an help make sure it is enforced in order to eventually get the buck limits down to 2.

2 bucks is more than sufficient when you have wild gender gaps of 16:1 32:1 does to bucks.
    If you genuinely have a fetish for venison go kill some slick heads.

If it is about blood go kill hogs.

If your being a game hog quit.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I never understood why we had doe days before but wby the hell do we still have them now. Especially now that you can only kill so many. It was my understanding that you could now take a doe whenever you wanted. Guess I did not understand the law when it was being passed.
    DNR just wanted deer tagged. No changes to limit and seasons. They keep things as close to the same as possible so legislators would pass. The only to change to limits was a buck limit in the Coastal Plains. And for those opposed they now have the option to enroll the DQP and receive additional bucks tags.

Other complaints from hunters was they thought NR should pay more and antelr restrictions. Those 2 things were added to the bill.

For 5 of 6 game zones little changed except you have tag all deer, even does in Archery season and either sex days. Game Zone 6 has a limit on bucks for the first time.

Now if hunters in a game zone want lower limits it is feasible becaue SC has an enforceable tags/limits. Which will happen.

The first order of business was a tagging system which we now have. It took DNR 19 years to figure out only small steps would work in SC. Not comprehensive deer reform like attempted in the past. Yet they began with that again.

We will be Iowa before you know it.

you cant use personal (buck) tags on your DQP land if you get buck tags for said land.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Right but last year I could buy tags to allow me to shoot a doe when ever I wanted. As I understand it that is no longer the case. I have to shoot a doe on a doe day. Is hat correct.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-20-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Right but last year I could buy tags to allow me to shoot a doe when ever I wanted. As I understand it that is no longer the case. I have to shoot a doe on a doe day. Is hat correct.
    No, you can still buy 4 doe tags to use anytime. Doe harvest will be no different...you just have to tag them on doe day.

I can kill more deer now with the new regs than I could with the old.

What's not to like?

I just hate having to tag bow shot does during gun season. I'm special and need different rules as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

What's not to like?

I just hate having to tag bow shot does during gun season. I'm special and need different rules as such.
    No you can't. You are limited by the number of bucks. You will get the same number of tags as there have been doe days in the past, plus you can purchase up to 4 additional "does tags. So essentially your "doe" harvest can be the same as past years. You are now limited by the number of bucks that you can kill. Example: last year - 8 "doe" days plus 4 tags; 12 "does" + unlimited bucks = unlimited number of deer. This year 8 date specific "doe" tags plus 4 additional tags plus up to 5 buck tags = a maximum of 17 deer. But, you have to hunt and harvest on the date that is on the date specific tags. If you do not, you can throw it in the trash, because it is only valid on that date.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    No you can't. You are limited by the number of bucks. You will get the same number of tags as there have been doe days in the past, plus you can purchase up to 4 additional "does tags. So essentially your "doe" harvest can be the same as past years. You are now limited by the number of bucks that you can kill. Example: last year - 8 "doe" days plus 4 tags; 12 "does" + unlimited bucks = unlimited number of deer. This year 8 date specific "doe" tags plus 4 additional tags plus up to 5 buck tags = a maximum of 17 deer. But, you have to hunt and harvest on the date that is on the date specific tags. If you do not, you can throw it in the trash, because it is only valid on that date.
    Im pissed I cant shoot but 17.

Default doe day with tags

17 deer ? Y'all ain't going to have a deer in 10 years
    Last edited by Timsmith; 02-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Im pissed I cant shoot but 17.
    You can shoot a lot more than that.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

If everyone on this site shot 17 deer this year = 250000 deer

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    8 of that 17 has to be killed on specific days. There are some that can hunt every one of those specific days, but most can't. For those that can only hunt during the week, the 8 date specific tags are useless.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    I'm in GZ2, not the slow country. We've had a buck "limit" for a while now. New regs give us more deer to kill up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    We've had unlimited amount before all this BS and we still have a shit ton in the Lowcountry. How all of a sudden are we not going to have any deer?

10 does 2 bucks 3 turkeys in Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    We've had unlimited amount before all this BS and we still have a shit ton in the Lowcountry. How all of a sudden are we not going to have any deer?
    How many you kill last season?

People seem to forget the old days of fewer doe harvesting opportunities and check stations.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I'm in GZ2, not the slow country. We've had a buck "limit" for a while now. New regs give us more deer to kill up here.
    I keep forgetting about the limits y'all have had up thar.

Thomas Jefferson

What's not to like?

Ruth bow hunts, next season we will have Archery tags to set bow hunters apart from the commoners.