Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: doe day with tags

Default doe day with tags

Does anyone know why the new deer tagging law put specific doe days on the tags?

Taking a doe should be an act of opportunity for herd management, having date specific tags prevents them from being used when the opportunity arises and also puts an expiration date on a tag.
    This will probably lead to more small does being shot so the tag is not wasted.

Any explanation would be welcome from our resident legislator or professional deer managers.

The idea is every deer is tagged.

So if you get stopped with a Untagged deer you have broken the law.
    We can debate the merit of this later.

How ever.

Ok so here is what happened.

You had X amount of doe days prior to this. You still have those days it is just that you have to tag the deer.

You are mixing and matching but the part that applies to the doe days or what use to be doe days means that tag is only valid on that day.
    You can't use that doe tag on another day.

Essentially it makes you tag the doe on a doe day.

Again the idea is to tag all deer.

Those tags can only be used on those days they are useless any other day of the year.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

It before I could buy tags and kill a doe anytime I saw fit. Do we lose that right now.

Nope, can still get individual doe tags.

With the purchase of a South Carolina hunting license and a big game permit, a resident shall be issued eight date-specific individual antlerless deer tags which are valid only on specified days and three unrestricted individual antlered deer tags. Persons under the age of sixteen, lifetime, and gratis licensees may receive these tags upon request to the department. Residents, including persons under the age of sixteen, lifetime, and gratis licensees also may purchase:

(i) two antler restriction individual antlered deer tags valid for deer with a minimum of four points on one antler or a minimum twelve-inch inside antler spread for five dollars per tag; and

(ii) additional individual antlerless deer tags for five dollars per tag.
    Last edited by JBtflo; 02-19-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Doe days are about as stupid as seatbelt laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Doe days are about as stupid as seatbelt laws.
    that's my whole point- I'm fine with tags but doe days are almost never on Tuesday, etc.

I have step competitions on Saturday mornings and if "it's on" we may step battle into the late pm. When am I supposed to shoot a doe?

Man, they really are trying to gay up deer hunting. It ain't turkey hunting.

what about tags for the does the kids kill? they don't have a license until age 16

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    This will probably lead to more small does being shot so the tag is not wasted.
    You should be shooting your small does anyway. Mature does have established breeding areas and are much more efficient at raising young. Also, a bucks size is directly linked to the health of the doe that gave birth to it. Again, advantage mature doe.

If you wanna be a deer poet then do the right thing and shoot young does, not your mature does.

never going to be a poet of any type-

So how are the clubs that have applied in the past for antlerless tags be handled? I haven't kept
    Up with this new legislation and haven't had to apply for anything other than individual tags for years now.

Fill me in

And FYI... a doe is a doe is a doe. 40#-140#
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

How about since there is a population problem, let's kill less does.....

Crazy I know, but it might work...

But is there a population problem, or are a few pecker lilies dicking up a pretty fun time?

Let's make a list of things SCDNR has gotten right in the last 25 years... And go.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

They did a great job with....

Nope. I got nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Tater I know you've been gone for a while but 2 things determine bucks size
    1) genetics
    2) nematodes

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    How about since there is a population problem, let's kill less does.....

Crazy I know, but it might work...

But is there a population problem, or are a few pecker lilies dicking up a pretty fun time?

Let's make a list of things SCDNR has gotten right in the last 25 years... And go.
    Hey bo, the upstate is seeing a decline in the deer heard. We need to have a uniform state wide limit, because you know that all the deer being killed down here effects them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Whitetai deer have been known to become migratory animals..

But kill your does.. Get to that 1:1 ratio, then take 75% of the fawns away from those does with coyotes/floods, wait 2 years and talk about all the deer we used to have.. Then blame a guy hunting 25 acres with 3 bags of corn for killing all your young bucks Bo, ultimately leading to the untimely extinction of all deer on your camera.... Bo

Nothing has really changed as far as does are concerned. The exception being the "doe days" are now printed on a tag for each individual day. You still can purchase four more doe tags to use any time after Sept. 15th. As for the kids they can get tags even without a license, it works the same as it does for turkey tags. You gotta have them whether you are old enough to have to purchase a license or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    Nothing has really changed as far as does are concerned. The exception being the "doe days" are now printed on a tag for each individual day. You still can purchase four more doe tags to use any time after Sept. 15th. As for the kids they can get tags even without a license, it works the same as it does for turkey tags. You gotta have them whether you are old enough to have to purchase a license or not.

Are you a tag advocate?

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    So how are the clubs that have applied in the past for antlerless tags be handled? I haven't kept
    Up with this new legislation and haven't had to apply for anything other than individual tags for years now.

Fill me in

And FYI... a doe is a doe is a doe. 40#-140#
    Clubs in the ADQP program still get their allotted doe tags to be used from sept 15th on. Each member can use their own personal allotment of buck tags on property that is enrolled in ADQP.
    More fuel = more boost!!