Thread: MEC universal charge bar?

Default MEC universal charge bar?

I'm trying to get all the parts Ang components I need to start cutting my teeth at shotshell reloading. I've picked up a few MEC's over the last few years and have just let 'em collect dust. No more! I'm getting the required wads, shot, powders, premium crimp starters, researching recipes, etc, etc.

One thing I can't seem to make my mind up on is whether to stick with the regular ole charge bars, or if the universal charge bar is really as good a deal as it sounds. Gimme some feedback on it if y'all have used the universal one and what the results were like.

My plan is to have 3 presses set up: a 650 for my 12ga dove/target loads, a sizemaster for my 3" duck loads, and a 600jr for all my 16ga loads. Great thing about 16ga is everything's 2 3/4, so changeover shouldn't be to bad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I have the universal on my press. It was nice to be able to fine tune the powder and shot loads but once I got it set and found the load I liked, I never changed it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Makes sense. So it's either buy 3 universal bars or just stick with the bushings.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Get the three charge bars and tweak with bushings.

$@!# A bushing. Get the universal charge bar and never look back. I have 4 presses set up. 2 with universal bars and 2 regular. I dred changing loads on the regular bars.

I've got two Sizemasters with the universal bars and I wouldn't do it any other way. But neither reloaded is set up specifically for only one load, so the occasional change is painless.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'