Thread: Yes, I DO Have A Suppressor Question

Default Yes, I DO Have A Suppressor Question

I have an Innovative Arm can that I have a question about, and I'm wondering if someone WELL versed in the subject may be able to enlighten me.

I bought the can for a USP Tactical 45. So, it's got a booster, and it had LH threads.

I also had Phil set me up with a RH threaded adapter for a Beretta 96 (.40).

I'm curious here...

I know I can run this can on a 9mm pistol, but won't get optimal suppression.

My question is this, and I may be answering it myself, but I'm seeking confirmation:

The booster allows for recoil on a non-fixed barrel pistol. I'm considering a 9mm AR upper with a 4-6" barrel and a 12-14" handguard, and I'd slide the suppressor in under the handguard and screw it to the barrel. Would I have cycling issues with a boosted can, or would the booster render itself useless due to the method of operation?

(Are the pictures working? Been possibly having some issues.)

I'm not familiar with that particular unit.

Can you not remove the spring and or lock the piston forward?

I ask because it will run on the AR platform with no issue, but you are putting unnecessary wear on the spring/booster.

I've got a YHM in .45 I have a 3 lug adaptor when I want to run it on a HK style gun. When it is on a solid barrel I remove the spring/booster. I'm always scared I will misplace the spring an cap. I haven't so far.

I like the YHM can but do not trust it in FA so I bought a can dedicated for the MP5's

Per their website:
    *A fixed barrel spacer is for use on firearms with fixed, non-moving barrels. Pistons are available in 1/2 x 28, M13.5 x 1LH, 1/2 x 36, 5/8 x 24, .578 x 28, M16 x 1LH, 9/16 x 24

So you can lock it out.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 02-17-2017 at 02:28 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I'll have to look. It's been a while since I changed boosters. I wonder if Phil would offer such support if I don't have a way to lock it.

You need to get Battlecloth to make you a pouch with a separate Velcro pouch integrated for the spare parts. I've got some nice custom pouches. The one for the 45 can has the spare booster holder mounted on the front. There's Molle webbing for attachment and quality hardware. My 22 pouch is probably 10 years old and still functions as new. There's even a dedicated spot for your form 4 copy.

Sent via TapaTalk on S7 Edge.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 02-17-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Personal note about YHM -

I consider them one of the first budget parts companies...before Tapco and Leepers got into the game. I bought a few things years ago (when quality was really unknown concerning them) and I was never pleased. I remember poorly machined folding front sight that wouldn't function correctly, and a picatinny handguard that was just shitty on every level, when compared to the Knight's I had always used up until then.

Based on my past experience with them, I, in good conscience, could never purchase another one of their products.

Remove the spring and insert spacer. If he doesn't have one, I'll make you one.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    Remove the spring and insert spacer. If he doesn't have one, I'll make you one.
    Thank you.

So the booster is not removable? It's part of the can?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    It's honestly been years since I've taken it apart. I just use it on the USP. I'll take it apart this weekend and look.

Gonna start looking around for an appropriate upper like described above. Any real opinion on length? I'll need to look at some ballistic datum.

The little grey piece is the part I swap out between guns... I think I recall a spring, but no no fixed spacer.

nothing to add here, but hot damn that USP is sexy as fuck.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    nothing to add here, but hot damn that USP is sexy as fuck.
    Thanks. It use to be on a MK23, but I hated the pistol because it was too damned big. I should have thought that one through better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I haven't seen his but many of the companies thread the piston part (that is what screws onto the barrel) and there is a little room the spring eats up. That is what "boosts" it. If you take the spring out there is play unless you lock the piston one direction or the other.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    It's honestly been years since I've taken it apart. I just use it on the USP. I'll take it apart this weekend and look.

Gonna start looking around for an appropriate upper like described above. Any real opinion on length? I'll need to look at some ballistic datum.

I asked because I couldnt tell from the pics. I have a stand alone Gemtech booster. Makes moving the can from an AR to a Glock simple.

After giving this some thought.
    You could take a simple tube cut to the proper length an thread the inside to match you upper.

But if you were into it you could actually reduce the recoil of the ar by turning the tube into a brake.
    You could make angled cuts on said tube much like a shark brake used by serbu.
    This is gonna dump strait into the expantion chamber but would be a interesting exercise.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Have you tried to call Phillip? He's very good at customer support!

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    Have you tried to call Phillip? He's very good at customer support!
    I have not yet.

I figured I'd give you guys a run at it before I bothered him.

Silver - Phil offers a sleeve that goes in place of the spring on the piston, which effectively converts the booster into a direct thread attachment, allowing you to use it on a fixed barreled firearm (rifle). Give him a call, he'll fix you up.