Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contractor Woes

They routinely string out jobs by getting starting another before finishing yours,
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Default Contractor Woes

It's not on you to pay his subs. That's why you have a contractor. It's on him to carry his subs till he gets paid. Otherwise. Be your own contractor and pay subs when they finish save the money you pay a contractor. I usually work on half half or thirds. With final bill reflecting added work cost. Sucks for me most of the time but a weekly draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ChocTango; 02-17-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Always ... Always put in a deadline clause with penalties......... I see it all the time in the business I'm in........ Sad story after another but your job still isn't finished .......... Best thing I've found is payment in thirds ...... The Idea is he don't feel like he's working for nothing at the end

Quote Originally Posted by ChocTango View Post
    It's not on you to pay his subs. That's why you have a contractor. It's on him to carry his subs till he gets paid. Otherwise. Be your own contractor and pay subs when they finish save the money you pay a contractor. I usually work on half half or thirds. With final bill reflecting added work cost. Sucks for me most of the time but a weekly draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be honest, I got 3 quotes. All of them were 12 weeks +

One guy, the guy I eventually hired, said he would work overtime and Saturdays and get it done in 8weeks... But it would require weekly draws

Given our situation with the due date quickly approaching, I went for terms that gave us the best chance to get back in the house with the most time to prep the house before the baby.

That said, a rookie mistake was admittedly made. My wife was with me when he presented his revised proposal exclaiming an 8 week turnaround (for slightly higher price & weekly draws)... All she heard was "8 weeks" and spoke for me before I could negotiate.
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Default Contractor Woes

Progression from top to bottom, from prior to current

From roughly the same angle

House was built in 1929 btw

Last edited by The Conservative; 02-17-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Default Contractor Woes

Turned the dining-room into the kitchen, and part of the old kitchen became my master bathroom.. Had to replace the Windows in the front then re-brick and paint to match.

Wife's excited because she will be able to water the flowerbox with the faucet - just open a window... The little things
    Last edited by The Conservative; 02-17-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BROADWATER SWAMP DONKEY View Post
    Always ... Always put in a deadline clause with penalties......... I see it all the time in the business I'm in........ Sad story after another but your job still isn't finished .......... Best thing I've found is payment in thirds ...... The Idea is he don't feel like he's working for nothing at the end
    What you're talking about is called "liquidated damages". An example of liquidated damages would be $250 a day for every day the milestone of substantial completion exceeds the substantial completion date on the contract schedule. However, LD's are only legal if they are accompanied by an early finish bonus of the exact same amount. So if the guy finishes two weeks early, you owe him an additional $2,500 to $3,500, depending on how your schedule is set up.

Be careful what you sign.
    Last edited by Fish; 02-20-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    What you're talking about is called "liquidated damages". An example of liquidated damages would be $250 a day for every day the milestone of substantial completion exceeds the substantial completion date on the contract schedule. However, LD's are only legal if they are accompanied by an early finish bonus of the exact same amount. So if the guy finishes two weeks early, you owe him an additional $2,500 to $3,500, depending on how your schedule is set up.

Be careful what you sign.
    I don't think in 30yrs I've ever seen LD's or EF bonus in a residential contract. Commercial, Industrial, Institutional, Medical yes.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I haven't either. But apparently swamp donkey has. Either way, you can't have one without the other.

I haven't either. But apparently swamp donkey has. Either way, you can't have one without the other.
    Is your statement for SC only? Just curious

Not true at all.

you can put whatever you to in your contract... its up to the other party as to whether they'll sign it or not.

I have supply contracts that automatically extend if contract volumes are not met. I can also increase the margin during the contract term if volume isnt being met. I do not give any incentive for exceeding the minimum contract volume. But i digress

You can put anything you want in a contract, yes, absolutely. But where one goes, the other will follow.