Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contractor Woes

Default Contractor Woes

I am 7 weeks into an "8week" reno

Two weeks ago, I recommended my contractor (who up to that point I had been very impressed with) to my neighbor. My neighbor wanted to redo their bathroom- no biggie.

Contractor tells them he could get their job done in a weekend if they would buy the materials they wanted.

Sure as shit, he started on their job this past Saturday (before my job is completed). After demo in their bathroom, he discovers rotten wood and has to replace a lot more than he had anticipated. He is still over there working while some of his laborers do little tasks at my house.

Do I have the right to be pissed? He was supposed to be wrapping up my job this coming weekend. I think we are at least another week or two away from moving in.

throw in on top of that, my wife is about 32 weeks pregnant and we still haven't moved back in.

I've been paying him on weekly draws. I'm afraid he'll just stop where he is if I don't pay him tomorrow... Then again, I don't know what I would really be paying for.

That said, his laborers expect to get paid on Fridays in order for their family's to eat, and I don't want to unjustly burden them for his actions.

What say you?
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

I'd be pissed.

Is there a contract?

if he is building you a dog pen, and your neighbor has a gaping hole in the floor with rotten wood, etc., sounds like he went into "putting out the hottest fire" mode. If he had to scale back to help your neighbor, but otherwise would have finished the job on time, Id say you've found a needle in a haystack. I also am going to guess that the contract did not say he would work on your place exclusively until it was completed. Hopefully you will get your work completed soon.

I'd be pissed at myself for finding him work next door before he finished my job.........

It's scam, remember??
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

How much did the doors cost?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Default Contractor Woes

No new doors
    Last edited by The Conservative; 02-16-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Have you talked to him about the situation? Communication is key on both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by catahouladogs View Post
    Have you talked to him about the situation? Communication is key on both parties.
    I did just now.

He said he is going to stay as late as he needs to tonight to wrap up their job so that he can work on mine all day tomorrow and the weekend... said he will be done with mine by Wednesday (only four days late). I told him I am going to withhold any payment until it's completed to my satisfaction. He said, of course. We shall see

2 words: weekly draw

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    I chuckled at that.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I know- I know

As I said, I have been pretty satisfied to now. Passed all inspections, has done a ton of work- so I have not had an issue doing so till now

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    I did just now.

He said he is going to stay as late as he needs to tonight to wrap up their job so that he can work on mine all day tomorrow and the weekend... said he will be done with mine by Wednesday (only four days late). I told him I am going to withhold any payment until it's completed to my satisfaction. He said, of course. We shall see
    Hope it all ends well for all three parties. As said above communication.

Be pissed at your neighbor..he waved that money in his face and got him to start before he was done with you.

For real. Goodness gracious.

Be pissed at your neighbor..he waved that money in his face and got him to start before he was done with you.
    yup.

What's wrong with that? I required a bi-weekly.

I'll pay you x to get y done in z amount of time. Cool? Cool.

If not, fuck me, right?

Pretty much.