Thread: 4 Flyways

Default 4 Flyways

Well this story starts about one month ago just before my wife and I packed up all our belongings and moved across the country to Oregon. We've always thought it be neat to live out west but never thought it would be this far west. Either way we decided to give it a go before we have kids and get all settled down.

Anyway I had to make a trip back to Greenville to drop some stuff off before we left. It also provided the perfect opportunity to get in one more quick hunt before we left. I got to hunt with one of my best friends in a small beaver slough just outside of town. Hopes were high as some black ducks had been killed near this location last year. Water was low and only a few woodies visited us that morning. Still a great time and good to get in one last hunt.

IMG_0781.JPG

We ended up leaving Georgia a few days ealry because our POD got picked up and so we figured we might as well start the road trip. It also just so happens that some good friends were in Arkansas at their duck camp and so we left Georgia and arrived in Arkansas just after midnight. The wife was a trooper and put up with all the dudes snoring at the camp and we woke up early to get in the river while the wife slept in. It was POURING rain on the boat ride down river and I got absolutely soaked. Not the best conditions for timber hunting- mild, no wind, and a low ceiling with other hunters close by. We only got one group in that morning, but it was a good one. 30 mallards, feet down just over the decoys before the shot was called. It was one of the prettiest groups I'd seen all year and made the pit stop well worth it.

IMG_0804.JPG

Back to the camp for a quick shower and off to Dallas we went. Stayed for the night and headed to El Paso Texas the next morning to stay with a good friend who is an apache pilot stationed there. Not to much water down that way but that wouldn't stop the duck hunting quest- he had been hunting in the rio grande and we headed out there the next morning. We stopped and chatted with border patrol when we arrived and just let them know we would be hunting. As we set up decoys we saw several more border patrol trucks driving up and down the levy just 100 yards behind us. The rio grande in this area is not so grande. Only 20 yards wide and knee deep at the deepest point- Mexico just across the bank... Killed a pair of gadwall early on and took advantage of a few spoonies in the decoys. While I was rearranging he decoys I looked down river and noticed 4 big birds flying low heading towards us. As they neared i realized they were canvasbacks and when I raised up to shoot I picked up a drake and missed. I got back on the bird just overhead And winged him on the second shot but the 25 mph north wind sailed him over the far bank...into old Mexico. I was tempted to go chase him down but figured a run in with the Federales wouldn't be worth it.

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG
    Last edited by Furman; 02-16-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Heck of a story! Your wife is a trooper for sure. Good on y'all for following thru on your dream.
    Last edited by triplebeard; 02-16-2017 at 01:43 AM.

We left Texas and checked out the Grand Canyon in the snow

A079DB80-8A90-4F25-92AD-F96C8DEEF354.JPG

We made our way through California, drank some wine and finally arrived in Portland on January 28th after 70 hours driving - the day before duck season closed. A feriend in Seattle let me hunt a spot the next morning but unfortunately I was unable to capitalize on any birds. Still a beautiful area and with any time scouting I could've killed a pile. Fortunately we made up for it this past weekend with an awesome cackler hunt where we worked 500 birds at a time and I killed my first cackler.

IMG_1255.JPG

All in all a fun cross country trip and excited to try out the fishing and hunting in the Pacific Northwest. I got to hunt 4 flyways in a week which is not something I'll likely repeat anytime soon.

Sorry for the sideways pics
    Last edited by Furman; 02-20-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Hunted all 4 in a season a few times but not in a week. Good memories made
    80-20 Genaration

Good stuff. Find some birds out there for me.... My wife is from Salem, and we alternate Christmas' there and in Greenville. Actually we are headed out there on the 28th for a week!
    Go Tigers!!!

Will do, Salem seems like a neat area and I met some guys last week that kill a lot of ducks down that way. Hopefully yall have good weather when you come- they werent lying it rains and rains here in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    Good stuff. Find some birds out there for me.... My wife is from Salem, and we alternate Christmas' there and in Greenville. Actually we are headed out there on the 28th for a week!

Very cool.

Good for you. Try moving before you have kids and see what is out there. I really wish I had done that.
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Maybe the owner of that M2 will give you a shooting lesson.

I'm pumped to see the fishing pictures soon.

Hopefully plan a trip out soon.

Awesome drive and hunt.. Keep on em out there..
    Genesis 9;2

Pretty neat Furman.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.