Thread: New skeet gun

Default New skeet gun

Long story short, my little brother started a shooting team at our former high school and is now coaching these young men and women. Yes it is SCISSA(private school) however this young man on the team has had both of his guns go out on him, and replacing them doesn't seem to be "high priority."He's currently running my skeet gun and I hope he wins a trophy or two, but little bro wants to have an award in our late father's name that will award the young man or woman that has the best attitude although it wasn't the easiest road (which presumably is gonna be this fella). As much as I would love to buy this young man a silver pidgeon, citori, etc, and those other nice guns I want more of, we'll be establishing precedent and can't donate 3k for a new shotgun every year.

Any suggestions as to what to look for? I know you get what you pay for and because my name is attached I refuse to buy the boy a POS. But keep in mind I've never met him and he's getting a free shotgun out of it- thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Yeldiez had a nice over under at one time. Franchi is also a $700-$1000 option for a nice entry level O/U.
    Last edited by Fireman; 02-15-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Beretta Xcel

I will throw in 50 bucks.

Setup a venmo and ill throw some towards it as well.

First off, that's a rad screen name. Are you anywhere near Charleston, cause I think I recognize your accent.

Second, what discipline are the shooting? Is it actually skeet or is it sporting clays?

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays all have different "needs" when it comes to guns. Obviously one gun will have to do in this case. Choices will depend greatly on your budget. I would stay away from the junk O/U's for any volume shooting. If the budget won't allow for a used Citori or Jap SKB as an entry O/U, I would recommend the semi-auto route and get something like a Beretta A300 in wood. Basically it is a (arguably) somewhat upgraded 391 which was/is one of the more durable semi's for the clays games. Reliability/durability is very important and recoil reduction from a gas gun is a significant bonus. Do him a favor and don't let him shoot 1 1/8oz shells. Start him on 1oz 1180-1200fps loads.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Screenname sucks but it was created before I exactly knew what scducks is, think of it as your first aol screenname... I do live in the Charleston area.

Strictly skeet and trap, and after further review he does hunt a little so a multi-use gun is probably what we're gonna do.

I really appreciate your and the other post offering money- this wasn't an attempt to pass the hat around and I don't feel comfortable setting up a fund for this but I do appreciate your generosity.