Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind battled

Default Wind battled

Didn't have anything to do today so ventured out a couple of miles. Got rough after lunch with the wind howling. Weakfish were caught in the jetties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fine mixed bag. Looks like you stacked them in order of best eating to worst...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Never had the weakfish, just speckled. Assuming they taste about the same.

Nice! We fished in the creek today, the ocean looked sporty out off the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachHunter View Post
    Never had the weakfish, just speckled. Assuming they taste about the same.
    Guess again!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Guess again!
    What am I in for? Looks like good meat.

dont listen to them. they will eat fine.

I like sheeps and both drum too.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

all them fish eat good.....
    You can grow up to be just like me....

What did you feed them?

A guy at Hadrell's told me the other day that I shouldn't buy voodoo shrimp but instead buy some other plastic minnow looking jig. He said there's no shrimp in the creeks right now and that I'd have to "match the hatch" if I wanted to catch anything. I asked him how many shrimp a trout would let get by because he was waiting on something that matched the hatch. That sort of knocked the wind out of him for a second and then completely convinced me with, "Well, these over here are what I'm using and its what we're recommending to everyone". Then I told him my brother caught a dozen trout a week prior in Little River on voodoo shrimp. "Where's that?", he says.

I thought it was kinda funny.

Both drum and sheeps were caught on fiddlers. Trout were caught on cut shrimp carolina style. Anybody ever eaten the weakfish? Any suggestions other than batter it and fry it?

Weakfish is delicious. Put your filets under the broiler with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve with grits.
    DILLIGAF

Thanks Hogg

Little River is in Fairfield County.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    What did you feed them?

A guy at Hadrell's told me the other day that I shouldn't buy voodoo shrimp but instead buy some other plastic minnow looking jig. He said there's no shrimp in the creeks right now and that I'd have to "match the hatch" if I wanted to catch anything. I asked him how many shrimp a trout would let get by because he was waiting on something that matched the hatch. That sort of knocked the wind out of him for a second and then completely convinced me with, "Well, these over here are what I'm using and its what we're recommending to everyone". Then I told him my brother caught a dozen trout a week prior in Little River on voodoo shrimp. "Where's that?", he says.

That is funny indeed. Almost every black sea bass we pulled up from the wrecks and the jetties were spitting up shrimp. And the weakfish sure didn't let the shrimp go by.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Little River is in Fairfield County.
    Saluda County
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    What did you feed them?

He may be partly right. I've had inshore sheeps refuse fiddlers thrown as chum in the winter then gut hook themselves on other bait. I never thought a sheepshead would let a fiddler go by. I'm also mystified as to why they'd eat them at nearshore reefs. Why would a chinaback fiddler ever show up anywhere but in the creeks? It wouldn't seem natural at a nearshore reef.

Offshore or even jetties trout shouldn't be surprised to see a shrimp this time of year but it might be rare to see one in the creeks (although I've been told by deep hole shrimpers that they some stay inshore all year).

I could take you to a creek tomorrow and you could fill your cooler in 30 minutes with medium to large shrimp. They do hang around, just gotta know where to look. But a voodoo or doa under a popper cork works good too.
    every expert was once a beginner

Where does one find fiddler crabs this time of year? Or is this one of those things I need to figure out for myself and don't be cyberscouting?

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Where does one find fiddler crabs this time of year? Or is this one of those things I need to figure out for myself and don't be cyberscouting?
    If you cyberscout your way into some, let me know too.

With as mild of winter as we are having, I'd like to get a box and try to keep them alive for the next two months.

We have used frozen crabs in the past but they are very soft and smell ripe!
    Last edited by scdiver; 02-14-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    I could take you to a creek tomorrow and you could fill your cooler in 30 minutes with medium to large shrimp. They do hang around, just gotta know where to look. But a voodoo or doa under a popper cork works good too.
    Roger that, Capt. I don't give a dang about those shrimp but if you want to go cast at some trout over that way, shoot me a PM.