Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluetick as a duck dog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bluetick as a duck dog

I admit I probably read "Sounder" and "Where the Red Fern Grows" too many times growing up but I've always wanted a bluetick coon hound.

That being said, I don't regularly coon hunt nor do I plan to coon hunt. I don't necessarily have wide open spaces either but I do a good bit of hiking.

I was wondering if I got a bluetick puppy from a good bloodline and spent the time training it to the lease and to heel as a hiking companion if I'd be able to get it to do any sort of duck retrieving or just finding a downed duck. Thoughts?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

No idea on the duck hunting, but always have a special place in my heart for Old Dan and little Ann.

Could always train it to track wounded deer. If you were just looking for an excuse to work your dog.

The coat and low body fat aren't conducive to cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    The coat and low body fat aren't conducive to cold water.
    We are in SC, we don't have those here

RH,

I think it's possible. but I don't think I would spend good money on a coon hound in hopes of making him a duck dog.
    Now if I was a coon hunter that duck hunted on occasion and I had a smarter than average dog with a love of water I would give it a shot

Jake, my cur dog has shown an inclination to picking up doves when I jump shoot them out from the field just goofing off. I plan to work with him some this coming year and maybe making it a regular thing by but my first priority was to make him a good squirrel dog, doves would just be a sideline

a coon dogs gonna coon dog, I think the chance of you buying one of the few out there capable of multitasking are slim. You'd probably have to go through a lifetime of dogs to fine the one
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I think its possible because there is a guy at the sand bar that has a black and tan and that sucker fetches a stick the entire time he's there.
    Last edited by thawhacker; 02-10-2017 at 06:42 PM.

I have a friend with english bulldog that will pick up doves, has a soft mouth, and delivers to hand.
    Another friend has a mutt that goes to the dove field, tracks deer, and picks up ducks.
    Most german shepards will fetch all day and love water.

I've never been around a bluetick, so I've got no clue on their fetching or water tendencies.

The challenge might be with drive, from what I've seen the non-retrieving bloodlines can get bored with it easily.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 02-10-2017 at 03:46 PM.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

We used to raise white Shepards when I was growing up and had a big male named cowboy that would retrieve a dove and loved it

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    I have a friend with english bulldog that will pick up doves, has a soft mouth, and delivers to hand.
    Another friend has a mutt that goes to the dove field, tracks deer, and picks up ducks.
    Most german shepards will fetch all day and love water.

I've never been around a bluetick, so I've got no clue on their fetching or water tendencies.

The challenge might be with drive, from what I've seen the non-retrieving bloodlines can get bored with it easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Back in the early eighties I watched a daschund retrieve doves like a seasoned retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknfloat2 View Post
    Back in the early eighties I watched a daschund retrieve doves like a seasoned retriever.
    The guys place I shoot doves at has a daschund that will retrieve the hell outta some doves

fucker looked like a brown slinky goin across the corn rows.

Ha!
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Got a guy out here that has one. Sad part is it out fetches the majority of the shit hounds on the field. Damn if it ain't a funny sight to see
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Got a guy out here that has one. Sad part is it out fetches the majority of the shit hounds on the field. Damn if it ain't a funny sight to see
    Maybe you should consider a Boykin and step away from the trash as labs.

Find out where tee got his
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure Rubberhead is talking about a dog other that a bluetick. I think I read his code right.

That being said, I had a rottweiller that loved to fetch and swim. I worked with him with doves once or twice, and he was fine about bringing them back and not eating them. The problem was that he enjoyed fighting more than fetching and swimming, and that would have made my invitations to dove hunt one time occurrences. A bluetick (pitbull) might have the same problem around other dogs.
    Last edited by wob; 02-10-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Ha ha, wob...

I love blueticks...I sent my wife a picture of a bluetick puppy just the other day...

As any tree stock they are gritty hard hunters, I haven't seen any that would make me think they had an inclination to retrieve. I wouldn't say it is impossible, but unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    As any tree stock they are gritty hard hunters, I haven't seen any that would make me think they had an inclination to retrieve. I wouldn't say it is impossible, but unlikely.
    Could a bluetick stand to be a hiking companion without being constantly on a leash?