Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poultry companies suck

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    10 minutes without power in the summer time and you can lose an entire flock. It can be stressful.
    Not sure if I shared this with you; it could help your dad - on days when dangerously high temperature requires all day spraying, you can put bags of ice in the tanks, run through the houses and dump the drinkers, and the cold water that refills them can save the flock. It worked for a grower near our farm. That year when we lost over 50% of our birds, believe it was 2010, she lost almost nothing.
    Last edited by Fish; 02-09-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    All farming is voluntary. Be grateful there are volunteers.
    Bewm.

Farmers>Engineers
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You talking about math nerd type engineers or you talking about train drivers? Because train engineers are >

I would like to hear MoBetter's take, I know him and he has an insiders look.

From my limited knowledge of farming, tobacco, row crops, chickens, and pork...

The price of corn has remained roughly the same for generations, with the exception of the ethanol love fest the recent administrations have had...so to make money growing corn, you grow your operation.

A dirt farmer, growing enough for sustenance and the community is a thing of the past. To make a living commensurate with the risk farming entails, you pursue an economies of scale model. Margins get tighter, and tighter, so you have to grow your operation. You either diversify your crops, and/or you grow.

Everything has a boom. The chicken farm boom made some folks pretty wealthy early on. The pig farm boom made some folks pretty wealthy early on too. Tobacco, wheat, corn, beans, etc. I dont know shit about peanuts and cotton, so I cant speak to that. But, the longer a business model is in operation, the longer different units in the system have to figure out how to squeeze a few more dollars out of the next asshole up or downstream and reduce a little extra risk to their's.

There's still money to be made in growing critters and crops. Margins are tighter, risk is greater, barrier to entry is insane. All that has a lot to do with why I'm not farming.

The margins will continue to get tighter, risk to the farmers will increase until this current system breaks, (lawsuit), or someone offers something better to a farmer.

I'll also say that just because a man is a farmer means he is supposed to succeed. Sometimes, and quite often the farmer is a 5th generation guy who is dumber than a box of rocks at best...and just plain lazy at worst and those factors show in their business decisions.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You spot on BB. Life is a risk.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Chickens=Chicken shit=$$$$.

Spread it around.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 02-10-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    i was in Stuttgart this year and saw the guys from sanders farm landing and taking off in their citation several times. Initially I thought it was silent weapon because he is so rich. But then I was told otherwise by the guy at the airport. That's all I have to contribute to this.
    I wish I had enough to have been me
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 02-10-2017 at 02:42 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I love KFC!
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt