Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diesel fuel additives....Equipement

Biobor and/or lucas for additive and algacide. Off road has much less sulfur and the lubricity went away hence the worn injectors in the 02-08 model engines. Every tank(500 gals) I buy gets treated.
    Last edited by Smilee; 02-09-2017 at 08:46 AM.

United States[edit]

Ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel was proposed by EPA as a new standard for the sulfur content in on-road diesel fuel sold in the United States since October 15, 2006, except for rural Alaska which transferred in 2010. California has required it since September 1, 2006. This new regulation applies to all diesel fuel, diesel fuel additives and distillate fuels blended with diesel for on-road use, such as kerosene, however, it does not yet apply to railroad locomotives, marine, or off road uses. Since December 1, 2010, all highway diesel fuel have been ULSD. Non-road diesel engine fuel was required to move to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and further to ULSD in 2010. Railroad locomotive and marine diesel fuel also moved to 500 ppm sulfur in 2007, and will change to ULSD in 2012. There are exemptions for small refiners of non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel that allow for 500 ppm diesel to remain in the system until 2014. After December 1, 2014 all highway, non-road, locomotive and marine diesel fuel produced and imported will be ULSD.

The EPA mandated the use of ULSD fuel in model year 2007 and newer highway diesel fuel engines equipped with advanced emission control systems that require the new fuel. These advanced emission control technologies will be required for marine diesel engines in 2014 and for locomotives in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel

All diesel sold today in this part of the world is ultra low sulfur. They add the dye as its being loaded on the truck at the terminal. There is absolutely no difference in the quality of "road" and "off road" fuel. They are the same product. The dye only indicates that its road use tax exempt.

Anyone ever been checked for off road diesel in SC? A friend of my dad's got caught in GA. Said there are only 2 or 3 people that cover the whole state. But what they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality when it comes to the fine.

I always assumed anyone with DOT could and would check.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Anyone ever been checked for off road diesel in SC? A friend of my dad's got caught in GA. Said there are only 2 or 3 people that cover the whole state. But what they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality when it comes to the fine.

I always assumed anyone with DOT could and would check.
    A few farmers (that you know) in our area got hit several years back. It can get veeerrryyy expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    A few farmers (that you know) in our area got hit several years back. It can get veeerrryyy expensive!
    Seems I heard they checked trucks parked at Browns equipment auction a couple years ago. Talk about a target rich environment.

Georgia DOT used to do stings on 575 near canton checking trucks that had transfer tanks in the beds for fueling equipment (think landscapers and grading contractors).

Luckily I never got checked in my dodge. It did make me change my ways of what fuel I put in the truck. I had heard that the fine was $10,000.00. I have no clue if thats true.

Does anyone know how long the dye stays in the fuel system/filters?
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post

One more tank of non dyed fuel will clean it right up
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    Georgia DOT used to do stings on 575 near canton checking trucks that had transfer tanks in the beds for fueling equipment (think landscapers and grading contractors).

Luckily I never got checked in my dodge. It did make me change my ways of what fuel I put in the truck. I had heard that the fine was $10,000.00. I have no clue if thats true.

He told me, but I don't remember the exact number. Seems it was around 2k. They told him to run that tank out or drain it and fill it up full and he was fine. But in the meantime he was eligible to get another ticket.

ETA, but I'd imagine the amount depends on the judge and circumstances. And possibly on the jurisdiction.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 02-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    What?!?
    Don't shoot the messenger. He "claims" it gives the additives that the diesel lacks.
    Non Supporting Member

One of my trucks got pulled over three years ago for speeding on the way to Florence on I 20. One of my trucks got pulled over three years ago for speeding on the way to Florence on I 20. It was a DOT man pulled the truck. As he was walking up before he even got to the drivers door he had already open the fuel cap and was dipping the tank.

This truck did have a transfer tank in the bed.

Friend of mine in Florence has been check a couple of times. He does not have extra fuel tank in back, but he was pulling equipment trailer each time

You misspelled equipment......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

He bought his truck in Camdenshire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the wholesale diesel fuel business. Both highway fuel and off road fuel are ULSD. The only difference is the red dye and about 0.40 additional cents per gallon. Don't try to get away with burning off road fuel for on road uses. They do check occasionally. The first offense is like a thousand dollar fine or $10 per gallon based on the tank size, whichever is greater. If you get caught more than once they can turn you over to the SC Deptartment of Revenue and the IRS for an audit. They consider it a form of tax evasion.

If you want to clean a diesel out get a 1/2 tank of jet A and haul ass down 95 for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. It has to have a different Cetane rating and higher sulfur content I would think. I may be incorrect though. Every time I use it on my tractor, I see shit in the clear filter bulb.
    We had diesel delivered to the farm the other day. When the guy got dumping 250 of the 500 gallons he walked over a dropped about a half pint of liquid in the tank. I asked him what it was and he said it was the red dye. Basically he dyed the fuel that was the same as on road. They buy it all for the same cost and just add the mark up and tax for the on road.

That's what I was told anyways....

And yes, Diesel Kleen. I use it every 3rd tank and follow with a little 2 cycle oil in the following tank. 204k miles with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    All diesel sold today in this part of the world is ultra low sulfur. They add the dye as its being loaded on the truck at the terminal. There is absolutely no difference in the quality of "road" and "off road" fuel. They are the same product. The dye only indicates that its road use tax exempt.
    I sell tankers (and tankwagon) of diesel daily and the only differences are the dye and road tax.
    I also sell Valvtect (marine side) and Power Service (land) additives. There are other really good treatments out there, but some are acidic which can promote corrosion.
    Sulfur acted as a sponge taking water out of the fuel, therefore eliminating micro-organism presence in the water and it's feces which causes lots of problems. Diesel additives have never been as important since ULSD, especially if your fuel sits in a tank for any period (hence some saying dyed fuel is dirtier, often cause it is stored longer). It's recommended to treat your tanks periodically, which many don't want to spend the minimal amount of money to do. They'd rather put an additive in the equipment once they start having problems and spend tons of money on repairs, versus using the additive in the tank (fuel tank hygiene), increasing performance and lowering fuel consumption. Gas stations are the worst about having dirty fuel. They don't spend the money on tank hygiene, their tanks in the ground are more susceptible to moisture, and there's no way as a consumer to prove they sold you dirty fuel.