Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Importance of Eel Grass

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Good work Bog!

Are the SNWR duck count numbers still posted on the web anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    For years y'all have heard me ramble on about the Aquatic Plant Mgmt Council, SAV on the Santee Cooper Lakes, and how important it is to wintering waterfowl.
    Many of you saw it during the 09-13 years, and it was something not to be forgotten.
    With the APMC and DNR's decision to not stock carp for 3 consecutive years, the eel grass has begun to return. It's nowhere near where it needs to be, but it is beginning to show.

And the waterfowl have really responded. Some enclosures were installed in Cantey Bay 3 summers ago and from those small cages, the plants have exploded over a good portion of the bay. I encourage all of you to take your binoculars and take a peek over there soon. Formal estimates are around 10k ducks (mostly gadwalls and widgeon, but also solid numbers of teal and shovelers, and a smattering of everything else) a few hundred geese, including specks and snows, and a handful of swans.

Prior to this eel grass, Cantey Bay was holding a couple hundred ducks.
    The proof is in the pudding.

It is of utmost importance for us to continue to stand up and voice our concerns that fish and Waterfowl habitat be put first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know we get into this all the time because I hate any aquatic grass in Santee, but before you go championing the virtues of this grass bringing in ducks.

Is it a possibility that all those impoundments close by that are growing an releasing ducks may account for the surge as well as attracting other ducks?

I know you want the grass for duck, and I get that. As long is it stays up there and doesn't migrate into the big water, eagle pt, potato cr, wyboo, I'll be ok. The problem is that stuff goes everywhere unfortunately.

I think (apparently I'm in the minority) the impoundments are great for ducks. It give a place to raise live an recruit others. But I see where this could skew the numbers for the grass project.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

If the impoundments had anything to do with the ducks being there, the ducks would be on the impoundments.

Certain grasses are supposed to grow in water. To think that lakes like Marion and Moultrie should be devoid of grasses is an ill-conceived modern view of an otherwise UN-natural situation. If you want clear water, buy a pool.

And they dont raise gadwall and wigeon.

I still love you. Dont worry.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It's almost discing season look for a few late night videos.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

sext away
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

No it is not possible.
    1. The impoundments that release mallards are corn ponds that hold decent numbers of ringnecks and small numbers of migratory puddle ducks.
    2. The closest release club impoundment from Cantey is a couple miles away, so I fail to see how tame ducks on a pond, cause wild ducks to come to an open lake over 2 miles away.
    3. Prior to 3 years ago, Cantey Bay was good for holding a couple hundred birds during the winter. Val was planted there 3 years ago. Today (3 years later) there are 10k ducks wintering there.
    That's how I champion the virtues of this grass.
    I saw it happen a few years ago.
    To an outdoorsman, it's a beautiful thing.

Eagle Point, Potato Creek, and Wyboo aren't the "big water."
    And if you fail to see the value in SAV for fish and waterfowl, what exactly are you doing on scducks? Lol.

Try http://www.ilikegunsbutdonthuntandam...iveingrass.com

It's a good forum, full of lake Murray retirees that go to the shooting range, play bingo, and wear socks with shorts.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 02-07-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Not to mention the negative effect that the lack of grass has had on the fishing in the lakes. Leave nature the fuck alone. Spraying grass and introducing invasive species is fucking dumb no matter how you slice it.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

LOL. That was cold, Bogs.

You know what I think: There are parts of the lake that are suitable for conservation/wildlife and areas that are more suitable for recreation. I fear you are tilting at windmills until you find a way to segregate those areas by intent AND practicality. I believe it can be done in both ways. Conservation Zones and carp barriers are the future or it will be just a rear-guard action as the resource escapes to other places.

On a more positive note: Other than the Mallards and Blacks, I can see some productive bubbles for other species at specific times that can probably be associated with vegetation spurts. Whether or not that is significant enough to wag-the-dog, I have some doubts, but it is what you have to work with and you are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I know we get into this all the time because I hate any aquatic grass in Santee, but before you go championing the virtues of this grass bringing in ducks.

Is it a possibility that all those impoundments close by that are growing an releasing ducks may account for the surge as well as attracting other ducks?

I know you want the grass for duck, and I get that. As long is it stays up there and doesn't migrate into the big water, eagle pt, potato cr, wyboo, I'll be ok. The problem is that stuff goes everywhere unfortunately.

I think (apparently I'm in the minority) the impoundments are great for ducks. It give a place to raise live an recruit others. But I see where this could skew the numbers for the grass project.

Why do you hate grass in the lake???

I don't worry about fishing in the lakes. I boat in the lake. I fish in ponds.

Which I can do that all I want in my back yard.

I put a , after big water. This was done to delineate the difference between the big water an the for-after mentioned.

But I don't like the stuff (grass). I typically don't even get in on the duck conversations. 95% of my posts are in current events or deer hunting.

There are only 41 different sub forums on here by the way. SCducks has become so much more than just about ducks.

I really don't think 2 miles is that far to go for a duck.

But hey, I'm willing to argue and debate it. Long as y'all keep the grass in the mud puddles I'm fine.

I'll warn you I keep Sonar on hand down at the lake house. If I spot a patch of anything resembling Hydrilla I nuke it.

I do enjoy reading about your work. As much as I hate the stuff I must commend you on your efforts. I'll even take Griffin an Tooth beating me up over it. I'll send tooth more late night videos and will refuse to sell Griffin the Lathe lol.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    Clogs up his jet ski

This is all fine and dandy but I have fought this fight and seen time and again that Santee Cooper does what it wants with no thought of the Sportsman (hunters or fishermen) in mind. The only true statement that they ever made was at the last Bassmaster Elite series event held here where the spokesman was asked about the grass and he stated that this lake was made for generating power and that is all they are concerned about (paraphrasing). Bog when asked about allowing vegetation back in the lake after the drought they sang the praises of the native (EEL Grass) that was flourishing in Crappie Neck and other areas as well as on the Lower Lake only to turn around and kill it. I am glad you are keeping up the fight but I am truly skeptical that the powers at be are concerned at all with what we want or think!

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Clogs up his jet ski
    Yeah and he has to get in the water and get his jorts wet while he is pulling it off the jetski.

What a fucking dirt neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post

Take a pole of what a group of boobies thinks mid July this summer and get back with me.

Plus everytime that stuff get thick around the pier it is a wonderful place for snakes an gators to hide. My wife rarely complains but that is one of the few times she expresses any discontent with the wild and I suit her disdain for it by nuking it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    This is all fine and dandy but I have fought this fight and seen time and again that Santee Cooper does what it wants with no thought of the Sportsman (hunters or fishermen) in mind. The only true statement that they ever made was at the last Bassmaster Elite series event held here where the spokesman was asked about the grass and he stated that this lake was made for generating power and that is all they are concerned about (paraphrasing). Bog when asked about allowing vegetation back in the lake after the drought they sang the praises of the native (EEL Grass) that was flourishing in Crappie Neck and other areas as well as on the Lower Lake only to turn around and kill it. I am glad you are keeping up the fight but I am truly skeptical that the powers at be are concerned at all with what we want or think!
    Don't worry your skepticism is well founded. That lake was made for one purpose and REMEMBER this. It wasn't to grow fish or kill ducks.
    And I for one will continue to stand on the other side and do just as much to make sure that damn grass never gets back in the water generating part. As far as I'm concerned that is any drop of water. Now if you can keep that crap in the back channels fine I'll tolerate it but it has no place in the purpose of generating power an thus shall be continued to be treated as a noxious weed that it is when seen.

I like the good ole days of AC an I flip a switch an the lights come on. If they SC Power Authority. AKA Santee Cooper feel the grass may even think about changing that there is no compromise.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 02-07-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Well, all that, and there were just a helluva lot of ducks in central SC this season. Numbers like we hadn't seen in over a decade for certain, and that was without any summer ducks to speak of. We STILL have so many frigging ringnecks and teal they look like skeeters. I love hearing that the Refuge is finally coming back from the damage done by incompetent management starting with Glen Bond. I guarantee there are good days ahead for the lake if the FWS will hold the course...

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Don't worry your skepticism is well founded. That lake was made for one purpose and REMEMBER this. It wasn't to grow fish or kill ducks.
    And I for one will continue to stand on the other side and do just as much to make sure that damn grass never gets back in the water generating part. As far as I'm concerned that is any drop of water. Now if you can keep that crap in the back channels fine I'll tolerate it but it has no place in the purpose of generating power an thus shall be continued to be treated as a noxious weed that it is when seen.

I like the good ole days of AC an I flip a switch an the lights come on. If they SC Power Authority. AKA Santee Cooper feel the grass may even think about changing that there is no compromise.
    The only way your power is not coming on is if you do not pay your bill or some storm aka disaster knocks out your line. Now can I bring my children to come and fish in your ponds?

Go read my signs.

I pulled up the other day an some woman was taking pics of my signs she said she thought they were funny?

I think one of them is still on Google earth
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 02-07-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

When do they start draining the duck ponds?

and
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson