Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good turkey weather?

Default Good turkey weather?

What weather patterns leading up to season do you think make for the best season? What type of preseason weather do you think makes the hunting tough?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Hopefully Glenn will see this shortly. He will confirm that if we have warm, sunny weather, the birds will be fully-bred and all gobbled out by opening day. We better hope the groundhog was right last week and that we get another 6 weeks of winter.

Turkeys are gonna Turkey no matter what. But I love a crisp morning in the 40's with a blue bird sky.

I could really care less about the weather before the season and I don't think it makes any difference in how the gobblers act during the season.

However I do like to see drier weather. Makes hunting more enjoyable without a bunch of standing water everywhere and I think it's better for the hatch.

But worrying about the weather because it may make for poor hunting is nonsense....

it's shaping up to be a lot like last season

I like "normal" springs myself but not sure there is such a thing anymore. These days it seems we get 90s the first week of April (or March) and cold wet days the last week where the temps might get to 50. Paying attention to the weather might help some folks better plan their vacation/time spent hunting if they have limited time to use. No doubt in my mind that weather influences turkey behavior.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I don't think it makes a difference.

I will say this though, in 2012 it got hot the first week of February and never cooled down. The woods were green by mid March and looked like May woods on opening day. The birds were absolutely on fire that season for me and my crew all over the state. They stayed on fire until season end into May.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I don't think it makes a difference.

I will say this though, in 2012 it got hot the first week of February and never cooled down. The woods were green by mid March and looked like May woods on opening day. The birds were absolutely on fire that season for me and my crew all over the state. They stayed on fire until season end into May.
    NO, no, no! You can't be saying stuff like this! Just agree that the turkeys will be all bred out and silent all season long. Maybe a lot of folks will start fishing and forego turkey season all together. Be a good steward of the turkey woods and keep as many folks as you can out of them.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Good point

Hot weather sucks, stay home
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Good point

Hot weather sucks, stay home
    When it's hot, there are lots of Copperbelly Moccasins and Crocklegators out too! It's very dangerous!
    If yall must turkey hunt, be careful out there and stay far from swampy areas!
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Yeps it's almost over already, there will be no reason to go fellas.

I've not missed a season or opportunity here in SC hot, cold, wet or dry since I started hunting turkeys in 1981. I've heard every excuse year after year. And I can whoop anything into submission with a hickory stick.
    1st week of March in Cleveland SC. Had a dozen rattles or more but they were damaged in the melee.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Spur, that is shit on yourself weather no matter what time of year it is.

Saw a flock of hens yesterday. Half of them were lying on their backs, legs spread with a "Fuck me " look in their eyes. Poor gobblers will be worn slap out by March
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Saw a flock of hens yesterday. Half of them were lying on their backs, legs spread with a "Fuck me " look in their eyes. Poor gobblers will be worn slap out by March
    I hope so. Makes it easy on this fat boy to chase 1 down. They get real slow when their pecker is dragging the ground.
    Last edited by joshua2; 02-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I believe I mistyped that. It was the first week of turkey season in March last year, more like the 24th or there abouts. And I may have missed a hunt or two since 81 but not more than three.

Over the years there has always seemed to be a peak and at least one slump period every season, at least to me and in the upstate. Peak as in turkeys on fire and very killable. Slump as in a cold front moves in and shuts them up for several days or they are just harder to find for whatever reason. That peak time has usually been around the third week of the season when we have a "normal" spring where green up is in April. Seems it is a week or so earlier on average when we have an early green up, warmer March etc. You can kill turkeys throughout any and all of those times but some days it sure seems a lot easier with more vocal and willing birds. I know I am probably only talking to a few folks here who are open to general conversation about turkey hunting so it's not so much of an argument for me as just idle conversation.

I honestly haven't been turkey hunting long enough to be able to make a good assessment. I haven't really paid that much attention either.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I'm gonna go either way.
    867-5309

I've kept a journal of sorts every turkey season since 92. Nothing fancy, just a line or two with general hunt details from each day that I catch up at least once each week through the season. Otherwise I'd forget spots and birds I encountered from season to season. Besides providing obvious scouting details for the next season it also shows patterns.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-06-2017 at 04:12 PM.

I've kept a journal for yrs. I talk about my feelings and what makes me happy, sad, and lonely. I even talk about what makes me feel important. This journal has an adorable little key that I hide beside my doll house and my collection of treasure trolls. I nicknamed my journal "tfc".