Thread: Trap prep....

Default Trap prep....

Someone mentioned painting new conabears?
    Does it matter what....Rustoleum rattle can presumably to prevent rusting?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Default Trap prep....

People boil them, rust them, and wax the joints. They also make a "trap dip" that is a paint substitute. That is in simplistic terms. Tons of info about it on youtube. Can also checkout trapperman forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 01-30-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Wax/dye or paint. Doesn't matter your just trying to slow down the rust. I can't speak for how long it will last.
    Non Supporting Member

POR 15 them and those bastards will catch hell trying to rust

I boil them to get the oil and the "new" off / hang out to rust for a week or so / then dye them and wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    I boil them to get the oil and the "new" off / hang out to rust for a week or so / then dye them and wax.

Yep
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

You can wax the conibears if you want to. I wouldn't unless I was using them in brackish/salt water and only after making sure any and all wax was removed from the dog and trigger as well as where they meet the top bar of the trap where the trigger cut out is at. You don't need this area lubricated unless you hate your hands.

Light rust and rustoleum works fine.

A high pressure steam cleaner is what I used to get the new off my traps. For some reason I remember using vinegar as well but cant remember what I used it for before adding wax to the traps. I went the lazy way and used full metal jacket for the yote traps. It seemed to work real well at the time.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I rattle can my conibears as I'm not too worried about scent on them. I used full metal jacket on my yote traps this year as well and like it, easier than dyeing and waxing in my opinion. The vinegar is used to take the rust off of old traps so you can re dye and wax or dip them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    A high pressure steam cleaner is what I used to get the new off my traps. For some reason I remember using vinegar as well but cant remember what I used it for before adding wax to the traps. I went the lazy way and used full metal jacket for the yote traps. It seemed to work real well at the time.
    Vinegar helps, speeds up, put a surface coat of rust on traps for the dye to stick to.