Thread: Self Propelled Mower

Default Self Propelled Mower

Probably about .25-.3 of an acre of grass with some hill.
    Need or want it to be self propelled, at least I think I do.
    Need it to have a bagger.

In no rush, it'll be a few months most likely. Just trying to do some homework now.

Who has a recommendation on something that meets the requirements and will last for a while with regular maintenance?
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

I had a toro self propelled years ago that was solid. It was going strong 7 years later when I sold it. No idea if they are still made that well but that's where I would start my search.

And yes you want a self propelled.

Honda will be a good pic. I got one for back-up to the hustler. Self-propelled with bagger.

Got a Husqvarna that works well for me.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

I got 3 - 21" self propelled is the only way. Fixin to sell one of um for 75, no bagger if you want it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I'm in Georgia and plan on buying something local. However, I do get over to Lexington from time to time.

In regard to self propelled. Is all wheel drive the Cadillac? If I went 2 wheel, is it better to have rear than front? There is some hill to this yard.

They didn't have fancy 4wd models when I bought mine, so I can't speak from experience.

I used a RWD on a yard with a pretty substantial hill. I would think that RWD would be better for pushing uphill.

Front wheel on all mine cept 1. Got a Craftsman rider I gonna move 450 will get it 550 if you want the 2-bin bagger. Runs great with new batt. Holla if you interested
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Front wheel on all mine cept 1. Got a Craftsman rider I gonna move 450 will get it 550 if you want the 2-bin bagger. Runs great with new batt. Holla if you interested
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm gonna stick with a push. A rider would be overkill.

I liked the front wheel drive when I was pushing a yard. It makes it easier to turn when you get to the end of a run. If it's rear wheel drive and you go to turn, you have to let go of the leaver, turn, line it up, and then go again. Front wheel drive allows you to turn and go all in one motion. Just my $0.02.
    :FYT:

That is why I like front wheel drive and I live on a hill

Thanks for the info!

That and seems like all the RWD ones Ive used try to raise the front up going up hill.

Look at the Toros. I have had one for 10 years plus with extremely limited maintenance. Runs like a top.
    Carolina Counsel

One of my last questions. Are the push mowers just like all other equipment? What you get at a big box store isn't the same at a true dealer?