Thread: Just Like Mom Used To Make

Default Just Like Mom Used To Make

Well not exactly......
    Duck meatloaf with parsnips and wild mushrooms, steamed broccoli, smashed new potatoes, duck and wild mushroom jus.
    Nothing too fancy, just a little something new with a few of the birds from out west.

"Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

How did you make that jus??? Looks delicious...
    Psalm 23

Very nice

Damn, that looks fit to eat!
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruggz View Post
    How did you make that jus??? Looks delicious...
    Jus was kind of a relative term. Sautéed some of the mushrooms in the drippings from the meatloaf. Added a little beef stock and cream and reduced. Finished with some thyme and rosemary.

Care to share the meatloaf recipe?

The "recipe" was somewhat off the cuff. If I had it to do again I would change it. First off, I had to use some pork/veal as filler as I did not have a ton of duck to use. Not a big deal, but I would like to do one with more duck. This one was 2 mallards and a widgeon mixed with a half pound or so of pork and veal. I ran a big parsnip, a sweet onion, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, a stalk of celery and a pack of wild mushroom mix through the food processor and sautéed it down with a healthy dose of duck fat. Some fresh thyme and rosemary went into the mix along with some Panko a few eggs Worcestershire salt and pepper and it went into the loaf pan and cooked for about an hour and a half. I'm going to do it again and it will be tweeked. Just finished a slice cold. It was good that way too.

I like it. I haven't done one in a couple years with game, my last was a mesh of duck and deer I think. I went the similar way with the mushrooms and did some sort of marsala sauce.

Looks good. How long did it take, and how "labor" intensive was it. I've never done one with duck. I might consider making one for our upcoming wildgame supper, if I end up with enough birds.

Looks good Russell
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Looks good. How long did it take, and how "labor" intensive was it. I've never done one with duck. I might consider making one for our upcoming wildgame supper, if I end up with enough birds.
    Not too labor intensive. I have a grinding attachment for the Kitchen Aid and one of them Ninja food processors that my wife had to have and never uses but its actually a pretty decent little gadget. The longest part was sweating all of the veg down in order to extract as much flavor as possible. I would say be careful to not work the mix too much as I would think it would become rubber especially with more duck than I used. Also, with a majority duck mix you would need to grind in some fat with it.

I see your plating still sucks

just had to pick on you.

parsnips are so 2015....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Lord yes !! That looks on time !!
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

Quote Originally Posted by Foie Gras View Post
    Not too labor intensive. I have a grinding attachment for the Kitchen Aid and one of them Ninja food processors that my wife had to have and never uses but its actually a pretty decent little gadget. The longest part was sweating all of the veg down in order to extract as much flavor as possible. I would say be careful to not work the mix too much as I would think it would become rubber especially with more duck than I used. Also, with a majority duck mix you would need to grind in some fat with it.
    I would also be worried about the texture of the duck. Overcooked duck is just nasty.

If I ever tried to do it, I would probably put the hamburger in the pan first, with enough room in the middle to fill the center with the ground duck, then a layer of hamburger on top. Cook to medium rare.

Thanks for the write up, it looks good.

I'm going to try it tonight. Thanks for the help.