Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got 'em

For the most part I use dirt hole sets, flat sets, or a post set.

A Dirt Hole set is exactly what it says...1 or 2 dirt holes about 2" in diameter 16" deep and angled on a 45 so the animal had to get in front of it to look down in it. The bait is put down the hole and covered with grass/debris and some lure is rubbed around the entrance to the hole. The trap is set slightly offset in front of the hole. The hope is that the coyote will be curious and investigate what is living in the hole or what another animal hid in the hole. While they are trying to figure out what is in there they step on the trap and get caught.

A flat set is a trap placement set in the natural area such as on a dirt road bed around existing coyote sign (tracks or turds). Coyotes love to walk dirt roads. You set the trap on the road and try as best as possible to make it look like the area has not been disturbed. Then I use some sort of visual attractor with a little lure near the trap...something like a deer bone, large pine cone, or a turkey feather stuck in the ground. Again they are very curious and will stop to see what it is and hopefully while investigating step on the pan of the trap.

A post set is similar in location and placement to a flat set but I use a stick or wood stake about 2' long. Pound it in the ground slightly angled towards the center of the dirt road. Then bed the trap offset in front/under the angle of the post. Next spray fox or coyote urine on the post. Think in terms of a male hunting dog pissing on everything when he gets out of his kennel...a coyote is the same and will piss on anything he sees to mark as he is coming down the road. You can also use this set on a corner fence post.

The most important thing other than keeping the trap and area as scent free as possible is to bed the trap firmly in the ground. If they step on the jaw and it moves under their feet they will dig it up. You want it firm so they eventually step on the pan and trip the trap.

Hope this helps!

Love seeing these pics. No foxes or cats?

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    How hard is it to trap a coyote?

Its not tough at all once you figure it out. I was lucky and had a mentor that was better than anyone I’ve ever seen, last I heard of him he was out west for 7 days racking up 42 yotes and 13 cats.
    A lot of people overdue the scent thing, I just wear “frog leg” boots, have a knee pad and swap out gloves twice a set, one for trap/tools, another for bait.

Rebs post was spot on, rule number one, bed the trap correctly. Too big of backing isn't good for yotes.
    Last edited by buckpro; 04-05-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

What area of Gilbert are you killing them in? I bought a house off of Beulah Church Rd (Priceville and 378), haven't seen a 'yote yet but have heard them very close to the house on a few occasions. Would like to trap but worried about neighbors
    dogs getting in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwacker2 View Post
    What area of Gilbert are you killing them in? I bought a house off of Beulah Church Rd (Priceville and 378), haven't seen a 'yote yet but have heard them very close to the house on a few occasions. Would like to trap but worried about neighbors
    dogs getting in them.
    My property is South of 20. Pond Branch Road/Boiling Springs Community Area.

Hey, I just saw something.

Happy belated J Reb

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Hey, I just saw something.

Happy belated J Reb
    Thank you sir!