Thread: Electric Smoker Build

Default Electric Smoker Build

A few years ago I saw a file cabinet smoker online somewhere and was really intrigued by it. Every time I would see a file cabinet being thrown out I talked myself out of the build because I had too many irons in the fire with projects. A few months ago, I acquired an old X-Ray file cabinet through a demo job at work. On the same job I found some metal shelving that I cut down to fit perfectly inside of the cabinet.

Step one:
    Remove the existing paint on the cabinet. This didn't come easy. Aircraft stripper helped slightly but the majority of the paint had to be removed via cordless drill and a paint stripper bit. 2 weeks worth of 2 hour nights of steady grinding on this paint.

Paint removed and hardware added

Step two:
    Assemble temperature controller box.
    I ordered an inkbird temperature controller package from amazon ($28). It comes with the controller, a solid state relay, and a type K thermocouple. I purchased a junction box with no knockouts to house the controller ($15). I purchased 2 single electric burners from Walmart and stripped them ($10 ea.) I relocated the rheostats from inside of the burners to inside the housing as well. Amazon also sells high temp wire that I used for the inside of the smoker to withstand the higher temps.

Step three:
    Paint smoker box and mount controller.
    Since the controller assembly cannot stand up to the temperature of the smoker, I used 1" pieces of 3/4" EMT as spacers to allow airflow between the two. I also added an exhaust vent to allow some smoke to exit and hung the racks inside.

Step four:
    Load it up and let her burn! I loaded some stainless steel chip boxes up with cherry wood and fired it up. Once it got up to temperature, I loaded a couple pounds of chicken wings, 2 whole chickens, and a butt.

She held temperature all night long. I got her fired up at 7:30 PM. By 9:30, the chicken wings were smoked to perfection. By 2:30 AM, the chickens were falling apart they were so tender. At 7:30 AM, 12 hours later, I struggled to get the butt off the rack without it falling apart.

I am beyond pleased with how this build came together and how easy it is to operate.
    However, I'd like to attach a cold smoke generator to the outside to keep from losing the heat every time I rotate chip boxes on the burners.

Links to parts:

Inkbird °F and °C Display PID Stable Temperature Controller ITC106VH with K Seneor thermocouple and Solid State Relay (ITC-106VH + K + 25A SSR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQ8TPA0

BUD Industries JB-3956 Steel NEMA 1 Sheet Metal Junction Box with Lift-off Screw Cover, 6" Width x 8" Height x 4" Depth, Gray Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UP9U1U..._uERIyb109H12R

BNTECHGO 10 Gauge Silicone Wire 10 feet [5 ft Black And 5 ft Red] High Temperature Resistant Soft and Flexible 10 AWG Silicone Wire 1050 Strands of copper wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017TGYW3S..._9CRIyb7TJ04KM

Arctic Monsoon Smoker Box Stainless Steel Grill with Lid, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C2I2PGY..._8ERIybJW668HD

IMUSA USA GAU-80305 1100W Electric Single Burner, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T0SN0K..._NGRIybGHE9PZ4
    Last edited by Ishootwinchester; 01-26-2017 at 10:08 PM.

that's pretty slick, how much $ and time you reckon you have tied up in it total?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I would cut a hole to put a window in so that I could bend down every once in a while, shine my phone light inside, and grunt approvingly while everything cooked.

Electric is witch craft, but I respect the build.

I honestly could have almost purchased one for the amount i have in it. It nickel and dimed me to death with the 12/2 with ground power cord, the Misc. hardware for wiring, paint, stripper, paint stripper bits, etc.

If you could get a hold of a sand blaster you could save a lot of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    I would cut a hole to put a window in so that I could bend down every once in a while, shine my phone light inside, and grunt approvingly while everything cooked.

Electric is witch craft, but I respect the build.
    I agree with the electric is witch craft comment, but curiosity got the best of me and I had to dance with the devil. I wanted a unit that I could literally set and walk away from and that's what I've got.

Mighty fine work.

looks great. good job

Pretty neat! Nicely done.

The guy in the cover shot at the link below has a serious smoker setup. If you ever have any questions about anything to do with your apparatus, he'd be a good source for information. And he's on Johns Island.

http://www.meathousebutchershop.com/

After you painted it, did you burn it for a while/oil down the surfaces at all before adding meat?

Looks like an awesome project. A friend of mine did a big ugly 55 gallon drum wood/coal smoker. I believe it was a food grade drum and he still burned the shit out of it to help remove anything that was lingering on the inside.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

I burned it for 2 hours at 300 degrees which is the highest temp I could bring it up to. I didn't think about oiling it though.