Thread: Setup for out of state trips

Default Setup for out of state trips

Looking for some ideas on your sleeping setups for out of state hunts. Do you stay in hotels, camp or pull something to sleep in? Planning 3 trips next year and need to make some upgrades than my current tent.

We squirrel hunting or moose hunting? Depends on where, when and what your chasing.

I always thought a nice camper shell on a long bed truck with some built in beds and a honda generator for heat and cooking would be a good setup. But I personally like having a place to stay with hit showers.

Mainly duck hunting, but setup will be used across Midwest for Deer/turkey as well. I like the camper shell with beds as an option. I am also looking at a 6x12 enclosed trailer with fold down beds that would allow space to carry gear but still be able to get out of weather if needed.

The trailer idea for deer hunting isn't a bad way to go, I've got a buddy toying with the same idea. Due to the fact you're normally carrying stands and all the other BS that accompanies deer hunting. For turkeys I'd roll with the camper shell or have a small tent ready. With the camper shell you're pretty mobile and can relocate everyday or just hit and run as you please. With the tent, I'll usually set it up if I'm going to be in the same area for a few days.
    As for ducks, if you're strictly field hunting I would assume if you didn't carry too much shit you could get by with the trailer set up. However, you start throwing fields spreads and layouts in their the trailer space is going to shrink up fast. If you need a boat then I reckon someone else will have to pull the boat, so that's two trucks.

Turkey hunting in the spring by tent or sleeping in the back of the truck isn't too bad normally, I actually enjoy it and look forward to it. Weather is usually decent for the most part but you can end up in some tight spots. If you go the tent route I can't stress enough to buy quality. Nothing like getting your ass whipped by a turkey, set up tent in the rain, then wake up with 2" of water in your tent. You'll be kicking your own ass for being a cheap SOB. If you roll with the camper shell you can slid a cot in the back and sleep on it. With the tent a good air mattress is the route I go. Always buy a size larger than what you think you'll need. Ex...you need a two man, buy a four. It's nice to have the extra room if the weather sucks or if you're not solo. Vestibule's aren't a necessity, but they're nice to keep your boots and other shit out of the tent but still kept out of the weather. If its pouring rain you can actually cook out of it if you have to.

If you're hunting out of your truck, but using a tent then the weight of the tent isn't that big of a deal. You can buy something that is heavier weight wise that will generally give you a higher roof, as opposed to a backpacking tent where weight is an issue. I've got a cabelas west wind dome tent and the center is pretty tall. I'm 6'1" and I can almost stand straight up in it that change clothes or whatever. It's easy to set up with one person, takes about ten minutes to set up and take down if you need to roll out quickly. I put a tarp underneath it for an added layer between the tent and ground. Never had a problem with condensation, two entry and exit points, and the damn thing is waterproof! Buy a good sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow, portable propane stove and you're good to go. A couple of coolers, one with food, one with extra ice, and a big beer cooler and you're in for a damn good time.

With deer and ducks the tent route can be done. However, if the weather turns bad you could be in for a not so fun time. I couldn't imagine being in a tent with a 30 mph North wind when its 15 degrees outside. 7 days into a ten day duck hunt with the daily grind can start to wear on a fellow. A hot shower and warm bed goes a damn long way if the hunting isn't stellar. Of course if your stacking up limits daily then you could probably sleep on a log and be as happy as a pig in shit.

Good Stuff Burney, Thanks

Get familiar with www.expeditionportal.com or www.wanderthewest.com you can starting searching for your dream rig or how to make adjustments to your own. We have a four wheel camper (Hawk) and we spend 20+ nights in during our fall elk hunts.. Its a slide in which still allows for a trailer to be pulled behind.. I think your setup will depend greatly on the type of hunt... can't go wrong with a toy hauler as well.. Park it and use it as a base camp. Good luck

Hotels.

Hotels are cheap in Arkansas especially split 2-3 ways

Quote Originally Posted by Burney Mac View Post
    The trailer idea for deer hunting isn't a bad way to go, I've got a buddy toying with the same idea. Due to the fact you're normally carrying stands and all the other BS that accompanies deer hunting. For turkeys I'd roll with the camper shell or have a small tent ready. With the camper shell you're pretty mobile and can relocate everyday or just hit and run as you please. With the tent, I'll usually set it up if I'm going to be in the same area for a few days.
    As for ducks, if you're strictly field hunting I would assume if you didn't carry too much shit you could get by with the trailer set up. However, you start throwing fields spreads and layouts in their the trailer space is going to shrink up fast. If you need a boat then I reckon someone else will have to pull the boat, so that's two trucks.

Turkey hunting in the spring by tent or sleeping in the back of the truck isn't too bad normally, I actually enjoy it and look forward to it. Weather is usually decent for the most part but you can end up in some tight spots. If you go the tent route I can't stress enough to buy quality. Nothing like getting your ass whipped by a turkey, set up tent in the rain, then wake up with 2" of water in your tent. You'll be kicking your own ass for being a cheap SOB. If you roll with the camper shell you can slid a cot in the back and sleep on it. With the tent a good air mattress is the route I go. Always buy a size larger than what you think you'll need. Ex...you need a two man, buy a four. It's nice to have the extra room if the weather sucks or if you're not solo. Vestibule's aren't a necessity, but they're nice to keep your boots and other shit out of the tent but still kept out of the weather. If its pouring rain you can actually cook out of it if you have to.

If you're hunting out of your truck, but using a tent then the weight of the tent isn't that big of a deal. You can buy something that is heavier weight wise that will generally give you a higher roof, as opposed to a backpacking tent where weight is an issue. I've got a cabelas west wind dome tent and the center is pretty tall. I'm 6'1" and I can almost stand straight up in it that change clothes or whatever. It's easy to set up with one person, takes about ten minutes to set up and take down if you need to roll out quickly. I put a tarp underneath it for an added layer between the tent and ground. Never had a problem with condensation, two entry and exit points, and the damn thing is waterproof! Buy a good sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow, portable propane stove and you're good to go. A couple of coolers, one with food, one with extra ice, and a big beer cooler and you're in for a damn good time.

With deer and ducks the tent route can be done. However, if the weather turns bad you could be in for a not so fun time. I couldn't imagine being in a tent with a 30 mph North wind when its 15 degrees outside. 7 days into a ten day duck hunt with the daily grind can start to wear on a fellow. A hot shower and warm bed goes a damn long way if the hunting isn't stellar. Of course if your stacking up limits daily then you could probably sleep on a log and be as happy as a pig in shit.
    Damn. That's a lot of letters you typed.

Just trying to help him out. I'd do the same for a fellow from Whitemire.