Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: State ports authority dredge island legal to hunt ..?

Default State ports authority dredge island legal to hunt ..?

New guy here. I'm building a house off of Yellow House Creek and have been hearing duck hunters in the mornings. I've noticed the dredge island near the Don Holt, where there have been workers lately, is now flooded. I know the season is almost over but I was curious if any of you pros know if it's legal to hunt on the island..? It's State Ports Authority property according to the Berkeley County Tax mapping site so my first guess would be no. I've spent a good bit of time in that area of Clouder Creek over the past 5 years or so fishing and boating with my wife kids. Her parents have a dock (tidal) off of a creek right where Clouder and Yellow House Meet. I've never seen any "no hunting/trespassing" signs on the island. I've made a few inquiries through friends who are fishing guides up this way and can't seem to get a straight answer even from a DNR friend that suggested I call the SCSPO to confirm which I have not done yet. I'm a Low Country Native having grown up on the Isle of Palms and a long time deer hunter but have recently taken an interest in duck hunting(much to my wife's protest) since I'm going to be living off of Yellow House Creek. Any information is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

3 decades ago we hunted all those areas and killed loads of ducks, doves and plenty of deer- good luck doing it today. Also- that creek is loaded with gators.

By the way- I own a marine construction company if you need a dock, boat lift, bulkhead or repairs.

Yea I know a few locals that said the deer hunting up that way was incredible back in the day. Tommy Stone (mount pleasant trailer shop) owned some property close to where I'm building and told me about it. We had a big gator in our creek this summer. Solid 10 footer. 10-4 on the dock service. Our lot is on the marsh but not really deep enough to do a dock. In laws have one so we use it.

Give it a try. The ticked is $795 bucks. Ask me how I know
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

DAMNIT!! I knew it was too good to be true. Was that this year..?

First post? Wtf kayak get out of here.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Huh..?

Those islands also land within "municipalities" that all have an ordinance against discharging a firearm within the city limits..

And that's kinda freakin me out because I've fishing out of a kayak there for the past couple months. Do I know you..?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Those islands also land within "municipalities" that all have an ordinance against discharging a firearm within the city limits..
    Could you expand on that please..?

City limits..?

Those waters that surround those islands under the Ravenel and Don Holt area fall into the borders of the City of Charleston and also the Town of Mount Pleasant. Each having an ordinance against discharging a firearm inside their limits.

Fireman = the po po so I would heed that advice
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

That's where my Black came from last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Seventeen maybe eighteen years ago there abouts I did the topos of those islands, the one directly under the bridge. I was there through duck season, heck I was there for a while. I found a bunch of old shells, silliness, the lengths poachers will go.

Kayak reference was to another member. Don't worry about it.

He's not looking for spots or if there are even any ducks. Just wants to know if it's legal and hasn't found the answer from other sources.

Welcome. There are a few good guys here. The rest are assholes. As long as you don't have thin skin you'll be fine.

Oh and welcome to scducks.

I hunt their for deer and ducks regularly never seen DNR or Sheriff patrol. You will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    I hunt their for deer and ducks regularly never seen DNR or Sheriff patrol. You will be OK.
    Shit now we are getting somewhere!! I was told that particular island falls under the jurisdiction of the "port police" and to contact them for access but searched for quite a while for their contact info and found nothing. My DNR buddy seemed to remember something about those islands being "active" which would make sense since there has been work going on there recently and he thought the last Berkeley county ruling was "no hunting" .

Also the Cooper River side of that island I believe is in the "restricted area" ..? That may limit access. Several years back they would roll up on me in the rib boat with the 50 cal on the bow when I would pull the kids on the tube just outside Clouder/yellow house entrance saying I was in the restricted area. Seems things have changed because I have not been harassed in the last few years.

I always carry a hardhat and orange vest and a work life vest. If someone confronts you, say you work for dredge company and you got hunting to yourself.