Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Tape: Is this going to pass?

Default Duck Tape: Is this going to pass?

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess122_...6_20170118.htm

Appears to significantly raise gas tax, vehicle user fees, and the sales tax cap on vehicle purchases. I.e., break out your check book, folks.

If god tells him too....

Alignment and tires are just as expensive. Like it not sooner than later SC has to fix the roads and bridges. The GA will not cut enough other places to do it. They will just wait the citizen out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The gas tax is one of the better taxes we have out there in that it attempts to make the people using the resources the most pay the most taxes. Don't muck that up by adding an increase to registration fees and sales tax. I'd hate to know what it cost to cut those massive blocks of concrete out of 95 and pour more. And majority of the cars I see in the south bound lane are from out of state.

If you want to raise registration fees, do that on hybrid and electric vehicles.

BT

I've spent $250 over the past 3 years (2 alignments and replaced tie rods)

In that time, I've put over 105k miles on my truck.

So let's check that math (for my specific case)

105,000 / 17mpg (very generous) = 6,176 gallons = 0.10 = $617

$617 > $225

*This estimate does not account for "road related" damage after the tax is implemented (which I assume will be near the same for me)

*This estimate does not include additional cost for gas used for boats, lawn mowers, generators, etc.

*This estimate does not include additional vehicle fees in this bill.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 01-19-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Heads need to roll in Columbia. I have no problem increasing the gas tax as it is true use-tax however I have zero faith that we will see any improvement in roads because of increased revenue. I swear SCDOT always has newer pickups and plenty of labor but must not have any money for material to fix the holes, though they have gas money to ride around.

There is spot on I26 East at the 178 marker (Harleyville) that will about throw you off the road and has been that way for years, I do not understand why it cannot be fixed.
    cut\'em

Taxed to death allready people. We need to clean house starting with the dot
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    BT

I've spent $250 over the past 3 years (2 alignments and replaced tie rods)

In that time, I've put over 105k miles on my truck.

So let's check that math (for my specific case)

105,000 / 17mpg (very generous) = 6,176 gallons = 0.10 = $617

$617 > $225

*This estimate does not account for "road related" damage after the tax is implemented (which I assume will be near the same for me)

*This estimate does not include additional cost for gas used for boats, lawn mowers, generators, etc.

*This estimate does not include additional vehicle fees in this bill.
    I have 4 vehicles, averaging 15k miles per year on 3 of them. My repair bills will be higher during a 5 year period. The roads here are terrible. I don't want to be taxed but the roads have to be fixed and the legislators will not tighten the belt enough to do what is needed.

No more taxes period. Might as well toss the money out the window until things are cleaned up, if ever. Southern Duck is spot on. New trucks etc.
    Almost as bad as the 15 million dollar new forest service office when you can't even drive the dirt roads there.
    Genesis 9;2

I get the tire folks to check my alignment every oil change at 10k. Not once has it been in. Majority of my SC driving is on 321 and 17, both of which are a joke condition wise.... Something has to give!
    Last edited by fro; 01-19-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I don't know where you people are driving but y'all must be hunting bad roads to ride on. The only 2 times I've ever paid to have an alignment was 1) when I was hit by another car in my '55 Chevy in 1969, 2) when I replaced the worn tie rods on my 69 CJ5 in 1975. I drive a lot on secondary roads in SC and I drive a lot on secondary roads in GA and Bama. Ga and Bama, especially Bama are way worse than SC from my experience. Do y'all hunt really bad roads then aim at all the holes to see how many you can hit?

Btw, I have never seen a pothole in a road. All the potholes I ever saw were in creeks, those are the spots where I fished, put turtle hooks and seined. Potholes on roads must be a Yankee term same as calling "supper" dinner. Dumbass Yankees.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

All in favor need to post up how many checks they've stroked to the state of SC and put "Road Repairs" in the for section.

You want more taxes then pay 'em yourself. Not my fault our elected officials are piss poor money managers and don't have the stones to say no to every special interest and entitlement that comes at them with their hands out.
    Last edited by Glenn; 01-19-2017 at 12:38 PM.

I'm with those above that say "NAY" to an upward gas tax.

Our gov't is bloated and inefficient. Until they fix that, don't come digging in my pockets.

Fuck the roads. Fuck the bridges. I hope they all fail. You might as well drive in the ditches on our interstates and highways as it is.

And, to Mergie's comment on never having alignments done... you've never had it checked, evidently. I only align my stuff when a new set of tires is put on. It's probably back out of spec by the time I hit the second oil change, though.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Heads need to roll in Columbia. I have no problem increasing the gas tax as it is true use-tax however I have zero faith that we will see any improvement in roads because of increased revenue. I swear SCDOT always has newer pickups and plenty of labor but must not have any money for material to fix the holes, though they have gas money to ride around.

There is spot on I26 East at the 178 marker (Harleyville) that will about throw you off the road and has been that way for years, I do not understand why it cannot be fixed.
    This. My wife 4 runner about turned over a while back on that patch. Everytime you hit it the back end of the car/truck kicks around. I avoid it now by getting in the left lane until i am by it. I have also sent numerous emails to DOT and nothing ever comes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post

Fuck the roads. Fuck the bridges. I hope they all fail. You might as well drive in the ditches on our interstates and highways as it is.
    Heck yeah, let's just go back to horse and buggies, and dirt roads (said no one ever).

Just curious, but to those who are nay sayers of a higher gas tax, how many miles a week do you drive or how often do you fill up?
    :FYT:

No not directly, downstream but it's only fraction of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
    Heck yeah, let's just go back to horse and buggies, and dirt roads (said no one ever).

Just curious, but to those who are nay sayers of a higher gas tax, how many miles a week do you drive or how often do you fill up?
    As much or as little as I want.

A toll booth at dirty Myrtle for Yankees could pay for every road in the state to be repaired.

Bridges on hwy 301 are still out due to flood. Yes..flood in 2015! They have been working on that section of road for 1.5 years. It is maybe 1/2 mile stretch.

I wonder how much that is costing taxpayers???

Tell it Glenn. Clean up the DOT to start with and then clean house in Columbia
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"