Thread: Wear your Life Jackets/Float Coats

Default Wear your Life Jackets/Float Coats

This morning I got reminded of just how fast things can happen. Got thrown of the nose of the boat. One minuet i was looking for logs as we putted through a cut through, the next I was fighting for the surface. Trust me boots are not made for swimming. Luckily the boat was close by and my buddies son was their to catch my arm because in the cold water I dont know how much longer I could have fought that hard to get in the boat. Glad God was looking out for me

Wow! Glad you are okay! That's scary for sure.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Glad you are OK. It can happen in a hurry.

Damn. Glad to hear you're okay man. What happened exactly? I know it happened really fast and is probably hard to know exactly but I'm Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

glad you're OK. I almost sunk a boat while idling. hit a stump, jerked tiller away from me, caused throttle to twist wide open. water came over the side. it happens so fast. doesn't matter how fast you're going.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's amazing how far you can be thrown even when you are running barely above idle.

Quote Originally Posted by D's Tees View Post
    glad you're OK. I almost sunk a boat while idling. hit a stump, jerked tiller away from me, caused throttle to twist wide open. water came over the side. it happens so fast. doesn't matter how fast you're going.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I had the same thing happen to me with two kids in the boat. That's scary. Now I keep a loose grip at idle.

Default Wear your Life Jackets/Float Coats

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipper View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me with two kids in the boat. That's scary. Now I keep a loose grip at idle.
    I've learned this one pretty quick. At idle I'll run mine by holding the forward/reverse handle. Enables me to still control the tiller with my hand off the throttle.

Last edited by billbuster84; 01-22-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by clembo3 View Post
    Damn. Glad to hear you're okay man. What happened exactly? I know it happened really fast and is probably hard to know exactly but I'm Just curious
    We were test driving my buddies new boat and I was teaching him how to drive it since he has never driven a boat before, were going through a wash through that had a lot of logs in it so I was up kneeling on the nose of the boat (its a Carolina Skiff so the nose is huge) directing him which way to go and apparently I missed a log. We hit it about 2-4 mph but since i was up there in my knees and leaning forward I never had a chance. I heard the motor hit, noticed a brief period of weightlessness then when it finally dawned on me what was happening i realized that I was under water and did not have my lungs full of air. Also I was not sure of where the boat was so I was trying to get to the surface as fast as possible and listen to where the boat was. Luckily the log held the boat because since it was my buddies first time driving a boat he drew a blnk on how to get it into neutral. When I hit the surface I was so cold that I was still having trouble breathing and got to the boat as fast as I could. His 88 lbs 11 year old son was trying to pull my 230 lbs butt in when I finally yelled at him to leave it in gear and just drag me in. Laid in the bottom of the boat to collect my thoughts for a while and then taught him how to get it into neutral. Im not sure who it scared more me or him cause I just went into survival mode. All in all It worked out, and he handled it well. We are probably going to go to Florence later and find a life jacket that fits his son well and that he would be comfortable wearing for long periods while we are running And probably get us some new ones as well.

I don't feel comfortable even idling unless I have my kill switch lanyard on. Make wearing the lanyard a habit.

It's nearly impossible to determine the direction of a sound under water. Sound travels 10x faster through water than air so there isn't enough differential for your ears to tell direction. About all you can do is come up with your arm over you head to keep from bumping your noggin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    We were test driving my buddies new boat and I was teaching him how to drive it since he has never driven a boat before, were going through a wash through that had a lot of logs in it so I was up kneeling on the nose of the boat (its a Carolina Skiff so the nose is huge) directing him which way to go and apparently I missed a log. We hit it about 2-4 mph but since i was up there in my knees and leaning forward I never had a chance. I heard the motor hit, noticed a brief period of weightlessness then when it finally dawned on me what was happening i realized that I was under water and did not have my lungs full of air. Also I was not sure of where the boat was so I was trying to get to the surface as fast as possible and listen to where the boat was. Luckily the log held the boat because since it was my buddies first time driving a boat he drew a blnk on how to get it into neutral. When I hit the surface I was so cold that I was still having trouble breathing and got to the boat as fast as I could. His 88 lbs 11 year old son was trying to pull my 230 lbs butt in when I finally yelled at him to leave it in gear and just drag me in. Laid in the bottom of the boat to collect my thoughts for a while and then taught him how to get it into neutral. Im not sure who it scared more me or him cause I just went into survival mode. All in all It worked out, and he handled it well. We are probably going to go to Florence later and find a life jacket that fits his son well and that he would be comfortable wearing for long periods while we are running And probably get us some new ones as well.
    That's wild. Glad to hear you're okay and. It reading about it on the news

“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

2 things I do now is wear my float coat or some type of PFD and not hauling ass wide open anymore. Sure going fast is fun but I've learned to back it off and slow it down a little.

You know you are getting old when you fall out of a Carolina Skiff, you old goat!

No kidding, that is scary stuff. Happens just that fast. I hope one person reading this takes precaution and wears their jacket...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    You know you are getting old when you fall out of a Carolina Skiff, you old goat!

No kidding, that is scary stuff. Happens just that fast. I hope one person reading this takes precaution and wears their jacket...
    Fell, boy I flew. Think I was singing R Kelly.

Glad you are alright. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Not exactly sure how it happened but my brother went over while bass fishing in cold weather and only using the trolling motor. I believe they were turning the nose of the boat and ran into submerged pier piling or something. In only the short amount of time it took to get the boat back around he was already struggling with the boots and all the clothing he had on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Not exactly sure how it happened but my brother went over while bass fishing in cold weather and only using the trolling motor. I believe they were turning the nose of the boat and ran into submerged pier piling or something. In only the short amount of time it took to get the boat back around he was already struggling with the boots and all the clothing he had on.
    A guy fell in during our club tournament yesterday while running the trolling motor. Happens quite a bit, someone loses their balance or gets their foot tangled in the rods on the front deck and falls in. It always seems to happen in December and January for some reason.