Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Yamaha 90 tiller conversion

A little off topic but why would you want to crank in gear? My old Mariner would do it and I never did it intentionally. I can't think of one good reason to do that but can imagine about a million things that could go wrong if you cranked it in gear.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyeller View Post
    40hp
    6x4-42102-61-00

Good luck finding one though. They seem to stay on back order.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    A little off topic but why would you want to crank in gear? My old Mariner would do it and I never did it intentionally. I can't think of one good reason to do that but can imagine about a million things that could go wrong if you cranked it in gear.
    Over a long enough timeline it saves wear and tear on your gears. Supposedly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

That sensor can go bad, or one of the connections can can go bad and it'll leave you stranded and unable to start the motor. I'm all about safety, but it's just one more thing to break that can quickly ruin your day on the water and make you want to pull your hair out come time to troubleshoot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-06-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    6x4-42102-61-00

Good luck finding one though. They seem to stay on back order.

Over a long enough timeline it saves wear and tear on your gears. Supposedly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

That sensor can go bad, or one of the connections can can go bad and it'll leave you stranded and unable to start the motor. I'm all about safety, but it's just one more thing to break that can quickly ruin your day on the water and make you want to pull your hair out come time to troubleshoot.

Got it. Guess if you knew how to bypass you could do it on the water while troubleshooting to get it to crank to get home? Don't think I'll disconnect mine. Never worn out my gears or had a faulty "kill" switch leave me dead in the water in over 40 years of going with my dad or running them myself. I was just curious.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Can't argue with that. It's a preference thing. And yes, you're right. If one knew what to look for and had the tools to do it that bypass could easily be made in the water.

My middle name's Murphy though. If it happens to anyone it'll be me.

Last edited by willyworm; 02-06-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

The actual reason you start in gear is if you have a solid hub prop, a type of prop that doesn't have a rubber hub to absorb the impact of shifting into gear. A true drag racing prop or something similar that 99% of boat owners don't have. That is the only reason you would "need" to start in gear.

Everything else is only because of a personal preference.

That too

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Got it. Guess if you knew how to bypass you could do it on the water while troubleshooting to get it to crank to get home? Don't think I'll disconnect mine. Never worn out my gears or had a faulty "kill" switch leave me dead in the water in over 40 years of going with my dad or running them myself. I was just curious.
    That's exactly what happened to me. I pulled up to a spot in a creek to fish. Real calm day. About the time I got my bait in the water, I was swarmed by sand gnats with no bug spray. I mean bad. Immediately decided to head back to the main river to get away from those little shits. Turn the key - nothing. I really don't know how I reasoned that it was the neutral safety switch so quickly that day, but those bugs had me hot! I guess I knew I had voltage to the relay, but the ignition wasn't triggering it. Had to be something between the key and the relay or a bad relay. I thought to jump over the neutral safety switch bumped the key and let out a holler. I grabbed a cold Busch lite and screamed outta that creek like a bat of hell.

I've been meaning to just buy a new switch because it really bothers me when I accidentally start it in gear.

I like starting in gear when im running a chopper or Yamaha drag style prop, just like already stated it doesn't have the rubber hub to absorb the torque. 90 Yamaha with a 24 pitch solid hub prop makes a big clunk if you don't start it in gear. Worm you or Anyone got the part number for a tiller conversion kit for a 2001 90 Yamaha? Needs to be for a 90 4 stroke to my understanding due to the extension block and longer cables.

QUOTE=Gone South;2292238]The actual reason you start in gear is if you have a solid hub prop, a type of prop that doesn't have a rubber hub to absorb the impact of shifting into gear. A true drag racing prop or something similar that 99% of boat owners don't have. That is the only reason you would "need" to start in gear.

Everything else is only because of a personal preference.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by willyworm; 02-10-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Part numbers may have been replaced somewhere along the line. Yamaha likes to do that. So the third number field may be a digit or so off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok, the new tiller is installed. Question I have is about the shifter. It came with one installed and an extra that is shorter. I don't have the variable RPM on my 2 stroke, but the instructions were having me change to the shorter handle. Does it really need to be changed?? I've driven one with the shorter handle and ended up pinching the mess out of my pinky finger between the handle and the shifter when putting in reverse, so for now it's still the longer. Until I get my boat back I won't be able to run it. Just want it ready when I can.

Does it shift in and out of gear with the current one?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seems to.

Long as you can shift between the gears let it be and roll with it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smaller one is clearance from hitting the cowling when you swing the tiller handle up straight. I'd use the big shifter regardless

I'm confused. I thought you couldn't get the fit kits? Where did you find one?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Boats.net had the tiller and fit kit. Overnight shipping was free, also.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    seems they only import a few at a time...you can get them, but you may have to wait a bit depending on demand at the moment.
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    The 40/50 2 stroke is the fit kit that's hardest to find, it seems. The others aren't too hard to get.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I got a 60 2 stroke. Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks fellas
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn