Thread: French drain

Default French drain

Does anyone know who can put one in in Holly Hill? We've got to do something to alleviate water issues under my parents house. Need around 120 feet to drain, and another roughly 180 feet just to carry water on to ditch. May end up doing another 120 feet on the other side also. I just don't have the time to do it, and my dad being 85 is not able to do it.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

The name was changed to "freedom drain" a few years back

Shouldn't you be out witnessin?

Fuzzy - have you thought about a sump in a gravel box then hard piped to the ditch?? Seen some work good in Cameron done like that - a float switch cuts it on plugged into a 110v/-

I was kicked out for freedom kissin married women at their front door

Quote Originally Posted by tkohn View Post
    Fuzzy - have you thought about a sump in a gravel box then hard piped to the ditch?? Seen some work good in Cameron done like that - a float switch cuts it on plugged into a 110v/-
    Already have that. Trying to stop some of the water before it gets there.

Fuzzy- it ain't gonna be cheap when you pay them to do it. I need 140ft. total and all quotes are over $4000. Most exterminator's do it. I am probably going to use Southeastern Foundations because they are doing other work for me. PM if you need/want the number.

Why cant you just rent a trencher and go nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDecoy View Post
    Fuzzy- it ain't gonna be cheap when you pay them to do it. I need 140ft. total and all quotes are over $4000. Most exterminator's do it. I am probably going to use Southeastern Foundations because they are doing other work for me. PM if you need/want the number.
    I know it won't be cheap, but the price will pale in comparison to the cost of the stress we have all endured with what the last two years have brought. A buddy has already sent me one name and number, but I will gladly except more. I plan on talking with several people and go with the one I feel most comfortable with, not just who has the cheapest price.

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    Why cant you just rent a trencher and go nuts?
    I thought about that, but gas, water, and sewage lines have to be delt with. The water and sewage don't concern me near as much as the gas.

Call 411 before you dig.
    Trench close to it and hand dig around it. Run your piping, slope it, rock it, drink beers.

Any Mexican that has a heartbeat.

The wall will need to be sealed as well if it extends to the footer below ground level. As the water settles and sinks to the French drain, it will still wick through the wall into the crawl space or basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    The wall will need to be sealed as well if it extends to the footer below ground level. As the water settles and sinks to the French drain, it will still wick through the wall into the crawl space or basement.
    I'm certainly no expert, but an 'almost foolproof' method that has worked on my basement for 22+ years now, compared to my neighbor who didn't have it done, is to coat the wall with roofing tar, lay up a layer of 15 lb roofing paper, than do it again with tar and paper and a top coat of tar. With a crawl space you could probably get by with just one layer, but it doesn't cost much more to do a double layer, or one layer of 30 lb paper.

On an added note, this may be a little over-kill, but when I had the French Drain pipes laid around the foundation at construction, I had them put down a second pipe in case one got crushed or plugged up with roots, etc. Again, it's relatively cheap 'insurance'.

Good luck.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-21-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by millero View Post
    Call 411 before you dig.
    Trench close to it and hand dig around it. Run your piping, slope it, rock it, drink beers.
    I'd call 811 instead...

B.L. Carter Construction

843-259-8202

Buddy is in Harleyville.

Tell em Boomer sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    I'd call 811 instead...
    Haha. 411 will give you info on who to call.