View Poll Results: R you willing increase gas tax by phasing in a 10 cent increase over 5 years?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 15.53%
  • No

174 84.47%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Tax Poll

Default Gas Tax Poll

Legislation was proposed to increase SC's gas tax by phasing in a 10-cents a gallon tax increase over 5 years taking the state gas tax from 16.75-cents per gallon to 26.75-cents per gallon.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Used to improve roads or what? When will it expire? New taxes concern me.
    #SPURSUP

No.

Why can't we just manage the money we already have? When has a new tax ever solved anything?

100% goes to DOT as it does now. It will never expire.

The bill also increases the tax on a purchase of an automobile from $300 to a max of $500.

Taxes on big trucks also increase. They are willing to pay but of course the increase is passed down to consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    No.

Why can't we just manage the money we already have? When has a new tax ever solved anything?
    It will require a billion a year from a 7.5 billion dollar budget. You cannot touch K-12 school money or medicaid. So the billion would have to come from the other agency budgets of 4 billion. Do you actually think politicians will reduce budgets by 25%?

I'm already paying a total net taxes on my income of approx. 42%. ( income, sales, property, fuel, internet/telecommunications, sporting goods, etc. )
    I think that I'd like to keep the rest of my money so the answer is no, I'm not in favor of anymore new taxes. In fact, I'd like to see taxes reduced so that I can keep even more of my money. As it is now I'm working 22 weeks a year to fund the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    It will require a billion a year from a 7.5 billion dollar budget. You cannot touch K-12 school money or medicaid. So the billion would have to come from the other agency budgets of 4 billion. Do you actually think politicians will reduce budgets by 25%?
    Well we could start by reducing politicians by 25% and see where that lands us and go from there....

100% goes to DOT as it does now. It will never expire.

The bill also increases the tax on a purchase of an automobile from $300 to a max of $500.

Taxes on big trucks also increase. They are willing to pay but of course the increase is passed down to consumers.
    I thought it also nearly doubles the registration fees on all vehicles, no? Also, in your informed opinion, how much could we cut from the state budget if y'all got really serious about it?

Legislation was proposed to increase SC's gas tax by phasing in a 10-cents a gallon tax increase over 5 years taking the state gas tax from 16.75-cents per gallon to 26.75-cents per gallon.
    Do you think we will agree to a 60% tax increase? Politicians are good at spending other people's money. Go to hell.

Why can't you touch K-12 school money? What about starting by consolidating the school districts in every county, and just have one. You get rid of a bunch of administrative costs that way. If Charlotte can have one school district, why can't the counties in this state follow suit. We have more school district administration than you can shake a stick at, cut it in half or more. Its not a billion, but its a start. Are you telling me that it is fiscally sound to have 3 school districts in Clarendon county, 3 in Orangeburg, 5 in Lexington, 7 in Spartanburg, and on and on? That is a lot of district administrators, and staff. Given, they are not all that smart and maybe they can't handle more, so get rid of them, establish one school district in each county, and hire competent people to run them.

Same with law enforcement...you have all these state agencies with Deputy Directors and staff....consolidate into one State Law Enforcement Division, with one budget and one Deputy Director. Have SLED, DPS, BPS, Wildlife, etc, all in one department, with one administrative staff, one Human Resources Division, etc. You save millions. But will these things ever be considered? Probably not, because it just makes too much sense, and there are too many good old boys (and girls) who are employed because of his convoluted mess.

Come on man...if you want to cut back and save money, it can be done. But y'all will do what you always do and just take more from us because you are not willing to step on any of the good old boys' toes and do the right thing.

Not yea but hell yea.Whatever it takes to repair our roads.My brother is a member of the house and every time I hit a pothole I call him and raise hell.I drive about 50,000 miles a year on state roads and blew out two tires in potholes last year.

Not no, but hell no.

Whatever marshman wants to donate out of the goodness of his heart is on him. I'm tapped out.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Road money should continue to come from the gas tax. If you want to add something to account for hybrid or electric vehicles, then raise their registration. Don't add costs to registration fees and sales tax and hide the tax in other fees.

I will concede that the gas tax is probably too low. Its not a percentage and doesn't increase with inflation. Not to mention vehicles are much more fuel efficient than when this was set.

SC ranks 48th in gas tax with 16.75. 10 cents seems like a big jump. Especially with all the other stuff added in. I'm tired of hearing that roads will cost x dollars and we need this much more money from taxes. As politicians, I'd rather see you force DOT to handle it like the real world. Here is your budget. We are increasing it by x. Figure out how to make it work. And if the people in there can't, then find someone else who can.

Why can't the people vote on it?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Y'all must drive on some other shitty roads in this state that I never travel on. I don't put nearly the amount of miles on my vehicle as some of y'all do, but I was on the road for four years coming out of college, and I just don't see enough damage to justify a new(or increased) tax. Are there problem spots? Sure. And apparently our bridges are atrocious, but I don't know enough about that to comment on it. The roads issue is an emotional one brought on by the Penny Tax lobby to generate funds at a county level. Look at Richland County and tell me how that is going.

DOT's budget, along with just about every other state agency's budget, has increased considerably over the past five-ish years. Pet projects and new infrastructure have been mismanaged so badly that it seems we can't keep up. Not the tax-payers' fault.

Someone said it earlier in a different thread, roads are a core function of government. As such, the agency charged with overseeing the roads should be funded adequately to do the job. Other state agencies that oversee non-core functions of government should never be funded to a level that takes away the state's ability to oversee core functions. Reorganizing and restructuring of agencies and budgets is a tough job, but it is what is needed. No new taxes. Period.

You guys complaining about the money aspect are either too stupid to figure out how much it's actually going to cost you, or just like to find something to bitch about. A $0.10 increase on a 20 gallon fill-up would cost you an extra $2.00 per fill-up (which for most is probably once per week). But hey, I get it, "it's my money bo and I work hard for my money and don't want anyone telling me how I can spend it", while purchasing a log of dip or a carton of cigarettes per week. Preach on, boys.

Also, to those who are complaining about the way your tax money is being spent, it looks like SC is ranked #1 in the most cost-effective state highway systems. It seems like someone at SCDOT is doing something right, whether y'all think so or not.

http://reason.org/news/show/22nd-ann...ay-report.html
    :FYT:

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Well we could start by reducing politicians by 25% and see where that lands us and go from there....
    I have a little bulge at the tummy but don't need to lose 25%.

I voted yea just to fuck y'all over
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
    You guys complaining about the money aspect are either too stupid to figure out how much it's actually going to cost you, or just like to find something to bitch about. A $0.10 increase on a 20 gallon fill-up would cost you an extra $2.00 per fill-up (which for most is probably once per week). But hey, I get it, "it's my money bo and I work hard for my money and don't want anyone telling me how I can spend it", while purchasing a log of dip or a carton of cigarettes per week. Preach on, boys.

Also, to those who are complaining about the way your tax money is being spent, it looks like SC is ranked #1 in the most cost-effective state highway systems. It seems like someone at SCDOT is doing something right, whether y'all think so or not.

http://reason.org/news/show/22nd-ann...ay-report.html
    Who are you talking to? I work two jobs. I do not drink. I do not smoke. I do not dip. I pay my bills, and buy groceries, and send my son to college. I don't buy new guns and toys, and I drive a 2004 truck with nearly 300,000 miles on it. I am smart enough to figure out how much it is actually going to cost me, and I do not want to pay any more taxes. Forty five percent of my earnings go to taxes now, and I see on a daily basis the waste in our government. The state has plenty of money to do what is necessary if they would cut back on the waste and unnecessary spending.

But if you have a couple extra dollars a week you don't need, I will be glad to take it.

Somehow every SCDOT truck pulls into the shop 5-10 minutes before quitting time. They all walk to their trucks dead on 4 oclock....This is all I need to know about SCDOT. It clearly shows me that no matter how many billions you give them, they will never resolve the crumbling roads of this state.

They all get a participation trophy on pay day irregardless of performance.
    Last edited by Smilee; 01-20-2017 at 09:05 AM.