Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDA approves Hog Poison

Default FDA approves Hog Poison

New Feral Hog Bait Approved by EPA

Scientists, biologists, hunters, farmers, and home owners alike have been waiting years for the news you are about to read. Pretty much everyone other than hog doggers! As most of you know the feral hog situation in most of our country is beyond out of control. In fact, Louisiana hunters killed an estimated 350,000 of them last year. And that didn’t even make a dent. Feral pigs are responsible for the destruction of crops, native habitat and carry and number of diseases that can spread to both wildlife and humans a like. They reproduce at an alarming rate and have no natural predators.

Louisiana Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry Dr. Mike Strain reports a possible solution has been approved by the Environmental Protection Agency to fight the feral pig problem.

“Its a bait”, says Strain, “to help eradicate the feral pig.”

The bait is made by a company out of Colorado called Kaput. It is fed to the feral pigs for three to six weeks using a specific type feeder that only a feral pig can get its head inside to feed on the bait.

But Strain cautions to “be sure and follow all label instructions” when using the bait.

While most of us may have been hoping for a hog specific poison that could be dispensed directly to the ground, this is not it. It will be every important to follow the specific directions and ONLY use in the approved feeder which eliminates the possibility of whitetails consuming the bait. While Kaput has not released the active ingredient in the bait it can be assumed to be the much tested Sodium nitrite; ironically a bacon preservative already consumed by humans. Sodium nitrite is far more toxic to pigs than people and is used in Australia and New Zealand to kill feral swine. Sodium nitrite, used as a salt to preserve meat, can keep red blood cells from grabbing oxygen in live animals. Unlike people and tested domestic animals, pigs make very low levels of an enzyme that counteracts the chemical. Swine that eat enough sodium nitrite at once show symptoms akin to carbon dioxide poisoning: They become uncoordinated, lose consciousness and die.

The feeder is being called the real hero here. The bait has been developed for a while but researchers have been unable to manipulate its ingredients to only affect swine.

More details on the availability of the feeder, and bait will be out soon. This is an exciting time for human residents of Louisiana. Not so much for our feral pig nemesis.

https://louisianabowhunter.com/new-f...proved-by-epa/

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Even if not I doubt it will be long before some jackass misuses it and it's removed from the market to protect us from stupid people.

Farmer told me couple years ago that sporting clays are dangerous to swine. He said put them in a wood chipper then broadcast shelled corn over chipped clays and hogs will eat clays and corn while deer and other animals will only eat corn.

Again this may be b.s may not.
    His story I was just sharing it.

Hard to say if this Louisiana procedure is a fix or not.

Putting poison all over the woods sounds like the stupidest idea that I have ever heard... If it's a feeder that only hogs can use, then it could be turned into a TRAP that only hogs could get caught in... With NO poison...

A trap will only catch a few before the rest get educated.

I wonder how buzzards and other carrion eaters tolerate the poison?

It must be very weak poison of it takes three to six weeks of feeding to kill them.

I hope it's true.

Kaput is a family owned company. Can't buy stock.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I'm just hoping they will bring back M44 for coyotes

Old Man saw a farm report on this and said is for real. If, say, a coon comes up to the feeder, it recognizes him, shuts the doors, and shocks his ass. Very interested in reading more if y'all run across it anywhere...

So it's a type of robot? All robots can be reprogrammed to become terminators.

Just give the robot a .22
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Just give the robot a .22
    That reminds me of Jerry Clower's coon huntin' monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post
    Farmer told me couple years ago that sporting clays are dangerous to swine. He said put them in a wood chipper then broadcast shelled corn over chipped clays and hogs will eat clays and corn while deer and other animals will only eat corn.

Again this may be b.s may not.
    His story I was just sharing it.

Hard to say if this Louisiana procedure is a fix or not.
    The caution about clay pigeons being toxic to hogs/pigs is printed on every box (Correction - of Non-Biodegradable clays), so I'll assume that grinding them up and mixing with corn just might work, although I would think it could get expensive unless it doesn't take much to kill them.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Actually not every box only the non biodegradable.
    Those will not hurt the pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Actually not every box only the non biodegradable.
    Those will not hurt the pigs
    Good to know. It's been awhile since I bought a box.

Thanks for the info.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Poison to control hogs is a very very bad idea!!!

Kill em all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Louisiana says no to Kaput...

Louisiana Agriculture Commissioner Mike Strain has suspended the eventual sale of a poison designed to reduce the state's wild hog population because of concerns about its impact on other species, especially the black bear.

Strain had approved the eventual sale of the poison Kaput over the objections of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, but he said a video demonstrating how easily bears could access the poison in the feeders changed his mind for now.

"Everything is on hold," said Strain, who notified LDWF Secretary Jack Montoucet about his decision.

"We've been working together and were able to demonstrate to the commissioner that we have a problem," Montoucet said. "The bears are our biggest concerns, and there was a video showing a bear picking up one of those feeding canisters and handling it like a bag of potato chips."

The Louisiana Black Bear was just removed from the endangered species list last year.

Strain and the LDWF have been working to find solution to the wild hog problem for years, including instituting liberal hunting laws on the creatures.

LDWF has estimated Louisiana is home to more than 600,000 or more wild hogs, which are prolific breeders, second only to Texas. Razorbacks breed twice a year.

The hogs are particularly destructive to Louisiana agriculture crops like sugarcane, soybeans and corn as well as pine saplings on tree farms.

Blake McCartney, a Red River Parish farmer and member of the LDWF's Feral Hog Task Force, said during a recent committee meeting farmers are concerned about the crop damage they’re seeing year after year, according to a story by the Louisiana Farm Bureau Federation's Neil Melancon.

Kaput had been on track to be available for use as soon as this summer before Strain's action.

"We're not going to quit until we find a solution," Strain said. "But we have to be certain we don't hit non-target species."

Greg Hilburn covers state politics for the USA TODAY Network of Louisiana. Follow him on Twitter @GregHilburn1.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/new...now/100606310/

Stand by. Auburn university CVM has developed a species specific oral contraceptive for wild pigs. I'll post up the paper when I get back to my office.

The hogs are particularly destructive to Louisiana agriculture crops like sugarcane, soybeans and corn as well as pine saplings on tree farms.
    what what???

let's buy lab some hogs?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.