Thread: 1.19.17 Beginner's Luck.......

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1.19.17 Beginner's Luck.......

I reckon. I went back solo this morning with 4 decoys and no calls (since I've never touched a duck call) and wound up with a specimen to send to Shane. I need to quit while I'm ahead because watching them circle/work and then cup up in your face is addicting. If I had a caller it's no telling how many birds would've came in.

At legal shooting time I had 2 mallards come in and land out of shooting range. A few minutes later I had birds from 300' to what seemed like 10,000' circling overhead in groups of 3 to 14. I had a group of 3 that were getting close when 2 woodies came in screaming and landed 20' from me and the decoys. That sealed the deal on the 3 bird group but I kept thinking the big group had some really dark colored ducks so I let the 3 land in the decoys as well. Now I'm standing there with 2 wood ducks, 3 mallards less than 30' away and 10+ "dark" colored ducks circling above my rookie ass. When the 3 landed I knew that it wouldn't be but a couple more passes and the rest would soon follow. Like clockwork they put down their landing gear and I picked the far right duck as they were approaching 15' off the water. To my recollection the 6 far right birds were all black ducks.

After I claimed my prize and couple more duo groups worked and came in with only 1 of the groups getting within shooting range. Not a bad solo morning for someone who doesn't have a clue what they're doing but I'm learning fast.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Timberman22; 01-19-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22