Thread: Bird ID

Default Bird ID

So my post on another thread has me doubting a few things. The band info on this bird hasn't came yet and we're getting a lot of different opinions on what this bird is and why. What do you think it is and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how has the band info not come in yet? you can get it offline or by phone in a matter of minutes
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I would guess Mottled. Blue\Green speculum, small white trailing edge on the speculum
    Last edited by jasonw; 01-19-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Can't get this offline and when we called it in the lady could not verify species, emailed certificate hasn't shown up and the bird is at the taxidermist. My buddy has to go by there and get the numbers off the band to call back and try to get the certificate again. We're thinking she keyed in the wrong email or something.
    Last edited by SCHUNTINFANATIC; 01-19-2017 at 10:44 AM.

gotcha

my guess would be mottled
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Mottled
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Black duck drakes don't have mottled secondary coverts (where a blue-wing is blue) that bird does - mottled duck.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Mottled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% Mottled duck drake. What were y'all thinking it was?

Honestly, we knew it was either a mottled or black. This being the first one we have ever seen in person, we weren't sure. Several people said black several people said mottled. We kept reading things describing the difference between the two and still kept going back and forth on what it was. The main thing to me was the blue/green color on the wing verses the purple color that everything we read says the blacks have. I will admit I'm not as good as most of these perfect bird identifiers on this site.

They call them mottled ducks BC their feathers are mottled! I dont really look at the speculum color BC they come in all shades. A black doesn't have bright tip accents on his chest, neck, and back feathers. A mottled feathers look like a hen mallard and a blacks feathers look like a black.

They call them black ducks (not scoter black, but close) for a reason. If you ever have the opportunity to see a black and a mottled side by side, there is no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    how has the band info not come in yet? you can get it offline or by phone in a matter of minutes
    This. The lady told me what mine was and where it was banded while I was on the phone.

Did you not read what my response was????

After I posted, yes. Is it a federal band?
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 01-19-2017 at 12:27 PM.

The only thing on the band was the ID number and write bird banding in laurel md and their phone number.
    Last edited by SCHUNTINFANATIC; 01-19-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Ive had Bird Banding Lab tell me both....some tell me immediately and some I've had to wait....mostly if she cant tell you its one of two things

1 the information from the bander has not been turned in yet......yes there are some that are that slack....called in a seagull band one time and it took them 3 months to send me the certificate.

2 the girl is new and does not fully know how to do that.....seriously I called in a wood stork tarsal band one time and the girl straight up argued with me that all bird bands are metal and they never put plastic bands on birds.....I hung up and called back and found out info immediately.....spoke with a different person

was the prefix 1987? and where was it killed?
    Last edited by HEAD; 01-19-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!